

It has taken a year for me to face the fact: I am a World of Warcraft widow.
My sweet husband has succumbed to the siren of the computer, calling for him from the depths of his basement office. The number of hours he has spent playing this game astounds me.
Now don't get me wrong. When I'm blogging, or scrapbooking, or reading a great book recommended by Lula, then I'm all for him doing his own thing. Really, I kind of like the peace and quiet.
But when I'm doing laundry, or cooking dinner, or trying to entertain Gabe, or like most days, doing all three at the same time; that's when I have a major problem with it. When I call him up for dinner and he tells me "ten more minutes" which then turns into twenty or thirty; ummm, that's when I start feeling a bit homicidal. When I have to beg him to help me get the kids to bed, and he puts me off for "just another battle"; ewww, I just wanna scream!
So this weekend when we went hiking with Mike and Becky, and climbed up the "dam" hill , and got to the top where Joe was short of breath and holding his chest, I really wasn't too surprised. My husband, who has always been into fitness and exercise, who used to go to the YMCA three or four days a week, was actually winded. More than me. And that's saying something. I hope that this was the wake-up call he needed to spend less time on the computer and more time getting healthy. I'm not saying quit all together; I'm just saying, set some limits. It has worked for me. Joe is only 34 years old; way too young to be a couch (computer) potato who can't hike with his family without a struggle.
I'm wondering, how many other women are in the same boat as me? What have you done to get your husbands away from an addicting game/situation without totally alienating them? I try to use gentle persuasion most of the time, but I will admit to succumbing to an occasional screaming urge now and then. Truly, I'm glad he has found an interesting diversion that he loves (like me with this blogging business). I just don't want it to be to his detriment...
What's a girl to do?
*Update: Joe did go to the YMCA this evening and exercised while Elijah was at football practice. So that's a start... Although, right now he is WOW'ing while I am blogging. Baby steps, right? Baby steps.
19 comments:
Sorry...don't quite know how to help w that one. You're a WOW widow, I'm a biker widow. But I don't mind too much cause he always comes back relaxed and it's a pretty physical hobby. Plus my kids are 5 & 7 so they're pretty easy these days. Good luck to you...
I am an ESPN widow.... and somehwat of a gym widow.
But, my husband is hot.. what are you gonna do?
Im a WOW widow too - let's mourn together. My husband is pretty active, and like Tiffany's husband, hot. We have a deal - when I'm busy with "stuff" he can be busy with WOW. When he's busy with WOW, I get busy with stuff but at some point for both of us, enuff has to be enuff! So...since we've agreed it's not acceptable for me to scream at him to get off of the computer (I dont give a damn if you're storming a village or what your Game Master needs you to do really quick) he's taken to sneaking back into the computer room once I've fallen asleep....and since I sleep like the dead, who cares. Hey, he could be sneaking off to have cyber sex...although for him this is WAY better than cyber sex.
I wish my husband would get a hobby like that, coz then i wouldn't feel so bad making him a sewing widower.
But Warcraft is seriously addictive. My brother and his friends had to have an intervention for one of his mates who stopped going to uni and even leaving his apartment for days at a time coz of it!
But it is reminding me of my husband screaming from our bedroom at 11:30 at night "ENOUGH WITH THE SEWING MACHINE ALREADY!!"
I'm not married but my brother's fiancee is a WOW "widow" and worse yet is it's on HER computer so she is never able to use it cause he's on it.
I was like Wow Widow....what's that. Then I cracked up because several years ago hubby was addicted to some Battlefield game. He got over it!
Dang, I say leave him down there, that's what I would do.
***TAPS playing in the background***
Poor Joe...not only did he realize he is out of shape, but his call of duty is coming to an end.
(now how can we help Mike figure out he doesn't need 8 expressos a day)Addictions Suck!
I am totally a computer game widow. It doesn't matter the game, Jeff will play. He will play for hours and hours and hours. This has been going on for years, actually I knew this going into marriage. I have stopped trying to change him and just try to work around it.
I am an Xbox Live widow. But it's OK...he only plays at night, after the girls are in bed. While I'm blogging. Or reading. Or searching for Edward stuff on the net. Or Twilight stuff. Or looking at Jason's pictures.
It's all good.
I'm not sure if I could handle a husband that played video games all the time. They get on my nerves! But he can watch all the sports he wants.
The whole KS/NC thing is kinda confusing, I know. I didn't think of that back when I named it 3 years ago (when I was living in Oklahoma, complicatingly enough). Thanks for stopping by, though!
My husband loves his computer too! But our is in our dining room so he is always in their with us. I don't mind he works 12 hour days or night and that is him time to relax. Thanks for sharing hope it works out. Much love
Anissa
If it wasn't the computer I'm sure it would be something else. It's playstation and weight lifting in our household.
My hubby doesn't play games - he hunts which makes me a hunting widow a bit but that is for one season and he is pretty good about making time for us too. I have a very dear friend though that is in the SAME situation as you and it is literally ruining their marriage - I actually think it might be worse then you I don't know..... I have no advice and that sucks.... you have made me think that I shouldn't just pray for my friend but for all woman in the same situation. Good luck and I hope it turns around!
It seems like everyone's a widow one way or another -- it may be sports, hunting, computer games... but it's always something.
I have a secret mission for you but can't find your e-mail address. Would you please send me an e-mail (address is in my profile) so I can explain?
You inspired my afternoon post...if you want to check it out that is.
I am SOOO lucky that my hubby doesn't have any die hard hobbies. He's a golfer, but usually golfs in tournaments during the week FREE because of vendors taking him. I'm all for FREE hobbies that take place while he's at work! LOL
~melody~
My husbands into ROME...I totally understand! What was it our Fathers and Grandfathers had? Definitely not computer games. What will our sons and grandsons have? What will our advice be to our daughters? Blog! Scrapbook! Hmmm...interesting.
Shall we form a support group?
Michael is rather into sports. Mostly college football and basketball - and baseball. Which is not too bad because it's just weekends. And he can be distracted. Which is always a challenge. And fun :-)
Post a Comment