Friday, October 10, 2008

Firehouse Party!

One of Gabe's "faberit" things to do is visit our local firehouse. When the older kids brought home a flyer about the Open House at the fire station, you know we had to go. Gabe was so excited he could barely eat his chicken nuggets, and even Elijah and Isabel decided to tag along. It was a beautiful evening, clear skies and seventy degrees...it made for such a fun time.

After parking our car down the street, we walked down an alleyway and came around the corner to see at least seven firetrucks and ambulances scattered about, doors open as if to say "come and explore". Gabe was ready to break into a run, and just then I caught the eye of...

My best friend, Becky. Clearly, great minds think alike. Just as I started walking toward her, she was on the phone with my husband, calling to tell me to come down to the firehouse. Sometimes we are so similar it scares me (in a good way, I promise).

Gabe would NOT look at the camera (there was just way too much going on around him). But Summer was all about it. Man, I love this girl.



Gabe climbed in every single vehicle, touched every single button, and talked voraciously to every single firefighter. It was hysterical to watch, when I was able to keep up with him! Here he is in the ambulance, making yet another new friend.



I had higher hopes for the way this photo turned out, but honestly, I was lucky to get any shots of Gabe at all. He was mesmerized by the escapee balloon and the ladder and flag, so he held still long enough for me to click the shutter.



Man, Becky did a great job with this picture. If you look closely, you can see Gabe hiding behind me. Summer was willing to pose with Miss Heather. I'm loving the reflection in the door. Can you imagine how often they have to clean these doors to get them looking so good? Can you imagine all the fingerprints on said doors after an event like this? Sure, those firemen were all smiles to our faces; inside, they were probably cursing our little heathen children and their greasy little hands...
As we were walking to our car, I realized I hadn't snapped one picture of the three of my babies. Elijah is not much for the camera (wonder where Gabe gets it, huh?), and Isabel was just too busy checking everything out. And I spent half the evening talking to Becky, and the other half searching for Gabe, who disappeared from sight every time I began a conversation with my friend (yep, he's a stinker).


What a great way to spend an evening. Free entertainment, popcorn and balloons; beautiful fall weather; and wonderful friends. It just doesn't get much better than that.

14 comments:

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I love going on field trip! Looks like yall had a wonderful time! It may be a while before we head to the fire station Aden is scared of them. Thanks for sharing -- Much Love

Anissa

Anonymous said...

Our fire department actually puts on a party once year that is totally awesome! Complete with bbq, a dance/band, fireman "challenges," etc. Thanks for sharing your fun evening out with us!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That does look like a fun night! I love fall parties...and best of all, like you said, FREE!!!!

Michelle said...

Awwww, looks like a great time. Only thing missing is the Chili!

Unknown said...

It looks like you all had a really great time, especially your little escape artist.
Oh, and your daughter growing up so fast and so beautifully, boy do I know how that one goes. :)

Lula! said...

Wish I could've gone with y'all...looks like fun!

And look at you in your cute jeans and fabulous necklace...holding a baby...you are so hot! I mean that in a non-lesbian kind of way, of course!

Heather said...

It looks like you son had the evening of his dreams!

Shelley said...

As a former firefighter, I can tell you that they were not even anywhere near thinking about fingerprints on their equipment. It is just amazing how much they all relate to small children (maybe because most of them don't wanna grow up). Anywho, they wash those trucks everyday as part of station duties. So, it was no big deal on their part. Looks like you guys had a blast. I wish our town fire department would do something like that. Good, safe, fun.

Jen said...

that looks like an awesome day. Hayden would have totally loved that.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Aren't community Firehouses the best? I would so love to get Gabe and my Sweet-boy together, they would have so much fun getting lost together, talking Thomas trains together..... If you are ever in Utah, the door is open....
I still have some Zucchini bread waiting for you.

Heathersmom said...

It looks like my beautiful family had a wonderful day. I wish I could have been there to enjoy the day with you all. I sure do miss seeing my precious grandchildren as often as I would like. They are just too cute and sweet. I need to come out soon. Please give them hugs & kisses for me. And you are a great mom!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! My son loves that kind of stuff!

P.S. Did you know Ann again is having a GNO? It's my 1st one!

Shannon said...

Gabe's excitement is just too cute!

WheresMyAngels said...

That looks like alot of fun. I would love to take my girls to something like that.