Curiosity, exuberance, the thrill of new experiences.
Potty words, testing boundaries, destruction, pushing the limits, did I mention testing?

Gabe at two was tough. He was by far my busiest kid, into everything, practically climbing the walls.
Gabe at three was tougher. Even busier, destructive, as wild as a Jack Russell terrier on steroids.
Gabe at four started out pretty good. A little bit calmer, able to sit down and concentrate on the task at hand for more than thirty seconds, excited about being a big boy and going to preschool.
Lately, though, he is pushing all my buttons. He is testing the boundaries at every turn, and quite frankly, I am exhausted from manning those lines in the sand. I know that I have to be consistent, especially when he is testing me, but oh my God, I can't hardly take another minute, much less another day. I am trying, really I am. I pray for assistance, for guidance, for sanity. I'm thinking that maybe I should just go work full-time and hire a nanny...hey, it works for Hollywood, right? I'm kidding about that last part. Gabe is my last "baby"; I want to stay home with him as long as I can. I just want it to be a more pleasant experience than it has been of late.
I am inundated with advice. I'm not really looking for that. I guess I'm just in the need of some support and some sympathy and some "I know exactly what you mean" kind-of-words of encouragement. I know in my heart that "this, too, shall pass". I really wish it would just pass a little faster.
And maybe you should say a little prayer for Gabe, that his mean mommy would get a little nicer so he can like her again. I'm sure that's what he's praying for. That, and the new Geo Trax airplane set...
17 comments:
Hey Girl! Yes, you have created a monster. But, that's ok. It's fun. I'll get to that crazy homework eventually!
So, I'm totally excited about the card-making party. I'm ready to go. I'm in a super crafty mood lately. I'm trying to find inexpensive things to make as Christmas gifts for my family and Chris' family since I don't have a lot of money this year. A friend and I are going to get together to make quilts and activity books for the kids. I'm excited about that. And, I've been scouring the internet looking for any other ideas that the adults might like. Any ideas?
Hang in there with Gabe. It will get better. I'm sure you're being a GREAT mom!!
Sorry Heather. I am not sure what to tell you that you haven't already told me. You seem to be doing all the right things. Keep up with holding back the sugar. Really, both my kids were calm growing up. I really don't know how you do it. He makes me tired just watching him. I would be bald by now. Good luck. Maybe today will be better. You can call me anytime and I will just listen. I will say a prayer for Gabe to like his mom again.
You know what I will say a prayer for you. Mekhi is just starting that testing stage and it is not that bad. But when it happens I have to call on the Lord to let me keep my patience. I can only imagine how I would (will) feel after multiple years of testing!
please don't tell me this. I am so loving 4 right now, don't tell me its going to change.
Well, no advice for you as my "Gabe" is 18 and I'm still waiting for it to pass.
All I can say is embrace his unique qualities and feel free to join me on some anti-depressants. LOL. - JUST kidding. Hugs to you - I WAY know what you're going through.
Oh girl been there and still going there! You need to read my post
on C the 6 1/2 yr old. And I still have the Girl to get through those days also and we won't even begin to talk about the teenager!!! Ok now I'm depressed!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
Hang in there honey for this too shall pass. They all have their own personalities and you have to treat each one a little different. Of course, you understand where I am coming from so I am not the best one to give advise even though you do not need it. I always pray for all of you. Love, Mom
You are doing the right things...you just have to hang in there! God made you Gabe's mommy for a reason!
Ya wanna feel better....? Let's see...at age 4 Matthew set our front bushes on fire with a sparkler on the 4th of July. No, of course it wasn't malicious or on purpose...he was just being a busy, curious, 4 year old. BUT HE ALMOST BURNT OUR FRIGGIN HOUSE DOWN. (did I mention the house had just been "sold" but we had not had the closing yet...yas good times!)
I have 3 just like Gabe, Heather. I know what you're going through. All 3 of mine were fighting and not listening on Saturday and I finally just LOST it! My youngest, Emily, a.k.a. "Destructo", told me I was scaring her. I told her she better be scared. I've shared with my friends, who have older children, that I'm sure I will miss this stage when it's over, but I'm just reallllllly ready to be missing it and not going through it anymore.
My best friend gave me so really good food for thought. "It's easy to be a bad parent. It's really hard to be a good parent." It will pay off in the long run, if we survive :) I'll pray for you. Pray for me, too....I realllllllly need it.
Keep your chin up my friend, it will be ok! Really. Campbell was my challenge and I would have sent her back a million different times if someone would have taken her back....but that was not an option.
Two things to be grateful for....1. is you are only 35! (I was 41 when she was 4) 2. He is your last one and it WILL get better...each day will bring challenges but some day...really....you will look back and laugh about it. I do now....more often than not. Prayers, patience and maybe a good strawberry drink!!!
Is he maybe getting his first period?
Hm... probably not. It's a wonderful excuse around my house... ha ha.
I have been in that same place... heck, I'm pretty much there right now and trying not to feel REALLY GUILTY about the fact that I'm kind of excited the girls are headed to their dad's for 5 days next week.
Big smooshie hugs and kisses and... no advice... becuase I just wanna love you up.
I don't mean that in the bad way.... you know that... right?
You are such a great mom! I'm sure there are moments when you feel absolutely defeated (we all have those) but you are handling everything so well and with such grace. Gabe (and the others) are so lucky to have you in their lives - not only to be their friend but also to be their guidance and their person that will draw that line in the sand and expect nothing less. I hope one day I'll be able to handle everything as well as you do. This, too, shall pass..... :)
I couldn't stop laughing as I was reading. I really thought for a moment you had written about Logan. He is non-stop from the moment he gets up. I total feel your pain!!
Oh my gosh! Adyson is the same way and she is only One! Man some days I just want to crawl back in bed and start over. Then I just sit down and stop chasing her for a minute and watch her. And I remeber I am blessed. It took us three years to get pregnant with her. I wanted her so badly and some days I just need to pray for the patience to remeber that!
Adyson and I prayed for you guys this morning!
Good Luck!
I so know what you mean....I love my little guy to pieces but there are times that I just want to run screaming down the street and never come back......DCFS yeah I know that you are on to me. Just kiddin.... But each night I talk to my SB about his day, what he could have done better and what he could have not done. Then I love him up, tell him that no matter what I will always love him, I may not love what he choses to do, but I always love him. It helps me make it through one more day, especially when I come in hours later and he is asleep and I see how sweet he is, one more day is the mantra. Hang in there lady, I feel your pain and mine is 6.
Sorry I don't have advice..No kids..just 4 legged one's! But I'll pray for ya, that's all I can do!
You are the best mother. And Gabe is beautiful. And I love both of you.
Amen.
Post a Comment