Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Day of Thanks...

Thanksgiving has long been one of my favorite holidays, and this year was no exception. It was a perfect day...the turkey was delicious (thanks for the recipe, Jen!), the side dishes were awesome (Michelle's corn souffle and mac-n-cheese, Kay's fudge, Mom's mashed potatoes and chocolate pie, Catherine's wine, Rhonda's hanky-panks, my dressing)...all in all, it was a smashing success. We ate, visited, laughed, ate some more, played ping-pong and Rock Band, ate dessert, drank too much wine and a little bit of coffee, then slouched on the couch and digested for a while. At any given time, there were children running amuck, adults texting teenagers with Twilight-themed messages, multiple conversations being had, girls and boys rocking out to the iPod in the kitchen...I think a good time was had by all! Thanks to all of our family and friends who made this holiday such a special one!

Oh, did you wanna see some pictures of the festivities?

I thought you'd never ask!

Isabel was a huge help, carrying up chairs from the basement, setting the tables, and making placecards for the guests. What would I do without this girl?

Out of all the pictures, I did not get a single one of Michelle and I together. Whassup with that? Here's one that will probably end up on her blog...

I couldn't resist getting this butter mold to set at the kids' table:


Kylee (and all the kids) loved it. Until someone cut off his head to put on their roll. Oh, the horror!

Gabe's little friend, Will, was also here for the fun. Kay was babysitting. Yep, on the holiday. She is a saint. That's all I'm sayin'.

Joe was the master carver of the turkey. He did a fabulous job.

It was difficult to pull Morgan (Michelle's youngest) and Elijah away from the video games, but the smell of the food and the promise of a tasty dinner did the trick.

I was sad that my big sis, Rhonda, couldn't stay for dinner, but at least they were able to come for appetizers before they had to drive to Paul's family.

My mom and Elijah. I love this picture.

The girls had so much fun playing Barbies and babies and kittens. I'm not sure what Catherine's girls were looking at, but it obviously wasn't the camera...

We had a whole table dedicated to desserts. Gabe took off running to the kitchen for a spoon; for what, I wasn't sure. Until I spied him looking like this...
Cool Whip, anyone?!


My MIL, Kay, and my momma. Kay had a (couple) glasses of wine to help her relax...can you tell?

These three were jamming to some tunes, singing along to songs I have never even heard. Michelle, you are one of the coolest moms on the planet, knowing this music and liking it!

I was thrilled that Catherine and Kipper could make it to our celebration, since they weren't able to go home to Texas for Thanksgiving. Catherine stayed and cleaned up the kitchen (thank you SO much!), then we actually had time to just sit and talk after everyone else left.


There was a little bit (or a lot) of Rock Band goin' on. I have decided that I am much better on the drums when I am at Lula's house, in Scotty's man room, after two (or five) Mike's hard lemonades. Just sayin'. These guys were rockin' it out, though. And you should see Elijah on the guitar...he amazes me!


By the end of the night, even Gabe was tired. I had Catherine take a picture of us...this never happens. Snuggling with mommy on the couch, actually saying the words "I'm so tired". Definitely a Kodak moment.

Hope your Thanksgiving was filled with great memory-making moments like these.
Next stop...Christmas!

14 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Great photos!!! Looks like everyone had a fabulous time!! I love the last picture of you & Gabe...and the dog.

Who doesn't want their kid on Thanksgiving? That is crazy!!!

Shannon said...

It sounds and looks like you had a great time! What fun... and I love the butter-turkey :)

BloggessJ said...

Love the last picture with little Gabe cuddling with mom and the dog. I hope my Christmas is much better than my Thanksgiving that's for sure!

BloggessJ said...

Oh....Forgot to add that I'll have my "j" post sometime later this week....got a lot going on so I've got to figure out how to be in 6 "million" places all at once.

Michelle said...

Oooooh, Betty picked up on that one, good job Betty. For real.

Yes, it was a blast. I agree on the Rock Band thing. I play like crap. I think it was so noisy I couldn't hear the music to get in the beat with it.

It was totally mucho fun. I can't believe we didn't get a picture either, we will take plenty at Christmas. Can't wait.

The Wife O Riley said...

Looks like a really wonderful day!

Heathersmom said...

The girls and I had such a GREAT time. You worked so hard but everything turned out wonderful. The Thanksgiving prayer you read brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much sweetie for such a great day. Halie wanted to do it again on Friday, she did not realize it was just one day. Thanks for all your hard work. Love, Mom

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh girl you are so lucky, what I would give for a big close family!!
Rockin and jammin, what more could you ask for!!
I'm sure Christmas will be a blast for ya'll too!

WheresMyAngels said...

Looks like alot of fun, Sounds like Kay needed the wine for good reason.

I saw those turkey buttors and got a kick out of them. I didn't buy one though cause this girl needs some honey butter on her rolls! Yum!

Jen said...

That looks like an AWESOME Thanksgiving. I so want to some to your house next year.
And I am so glad that you liked the turkey. I think its the best way to prepare it.

BBB said...

Looks like a wonderful day!!! Thanksgiving is such a great holiday!!!

michele said...

Your blog is fun,the music is great. It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kori said...

Awesome photos. Looks like an amazing Thanksgiving!

thanks so much for the prayers. And the fact that Gabe is loud is winderful!

HiHoOhio said...

it was a great great great day, thank you a million gazillion times, as Campbell says. The girls had a great time too....they must have been watching someone rocking to the ipod tunes or something...who knows!
I am glad the wine worked at so many levels, from the looks of my photo, I needed more to make my cheeks rosie, looking a little pale myself!
thanks again!!!!!