Friday, November 14, 2008

The Journey

From the time I was about eleven years old, all I wanted was to grow up, get married and become a mom. Sure, I had other goals, but even my career choice was one I made because I knew it would mesh well with motherhood.

The other day, a co-worker asked me what I was going to do "next". As in, what are your career goals. Anesthesia, management, nursing administration (yuck). My answer was this: I am living my goal. I. Am. Content.

I am a wife, a mom, a nurse. All those things I dreamed of being. I know it's great to have goals. But isn't it greater to be content? To live in the moment instead of always looking ahead for the "next" thing? Some people have a hard time with that concept. In this society, it's not popular to be content. I guess I'm just not that popular. Because I truly am loving my life, and I know this time of enjoying my kids will come to an end. They'll be searching for their goals and living their lives, and that will probably take them away from me, hopefully just for a time. And while I want them to have goals, I also want them to feel that sense of contentment that I have. And I pray that I will still be feeling that peace when they are out of the house, and it's just me and Joe again. To be honest, that scares me a little. But when I read Betty's stories about her and John, and the relationship they have, I feel encouraged. I want to have that, too. Whenever I hear this song by Mark Schultz, "Walking her Home", I tear up. I have witnessed that kind of love, at church, at the hospital. When Joe and I first got married, I was working the night shift when we admitted this little 80-something year old woman who died minutes after she arrived. When a family friend wheeled the husband in, he grabbed onto his wife's hand and sobbed his heart out. Over and over he cried, "what am I going to do?". Let me tell you, there was not a dry eye on the unit that night. We didn't even know his name, but we didn't need to, to know how much he loved this woman. And even though our hearts broke for him, even more my heart yearned to have this kind of love. A love that stood through heartache, and babies, and debt, and teenagers, and time. I pray to God that Joe and I have that kind of love, but man, is it ever hard somedays.

Michelle, sorry if I made you cry before work. Mom, sorry if I made you think about Dad. Sometimes a song has that kind of power over me, and this one does, for sure.



Have a great weekend, everyone. Set some goals, or bask in your contentment. Either way, it's all good...

21 comments:

Lula! said...

Seriously...
Best Post Ever. My favorite of yours thus far.

And I need that picture for my house. Because it is gorgeous and you've seen firsthand that we are photo-crazy around this joint. So we need some Kelsey love to add to our family photos.

Yeah, I said FAMILY photos.

WheresMyAngels said...

Love your story and that photo.

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Beautiful post! And I love that family picture!

Michelle said...

Yeah, I have tears but I love this too. I am very content with my life. Raising my kids and being here for them and loving my life as a lunch lady! Never would have thought that. It is great to go out and do your thing every day and not worry what everyone else thinks about it!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That was beautifully written!

It sure made me cry thinking of that man holding her hand not wanting to see her leave him.

You know people at work always tell me to go back to college and finish my degree so I can make more money....and I always tell them I am content with what I'm making and with the job I'm in. You are so right...people aren't content in their lives...they always want something more, better.

When the girls were growing up...especially the teen years...I though sometimes my marriage won't last...we were young kids trying to raise kids...but we did it. We rode that roller coaster up & down and held on to each other all the way. Let me tell you our marriage has never been better since the girls moved out! It's wonderful, spontaneous!!! You & Joe WILL have that, too!!! You have a long way to go....

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

a long way because Gabe is still little. I realized that didn't sound right the way I typed it. haha

Becky said...

I love love LOVE that picture. It sums it up for me. The journey you and Joe are on TOGETHER. Walking down that road of life.

Heathersmom said...

Yes, you made me cry. When I lost your father I thought my life was over but I realized I still had my family to love. I am also content with my life now except that I still miss your father every day. We had a few years for just the two of us and they were good years. In the past I sometimes did not think we would make it but we did. I love you girls and my granchildren and great-grandchildren so much. I am so proud of you girls. You are such great people. I love you, Mom.

Jen said...

That was a great post. I wish that I could hold onto the feeling of contentment longer than a few minutes. I am a goal setter. I like to have a goal to work towards. I am feeling a little lost right now because I don't have one. Oh, why can't I just be content.
BTW, Lula is right, that is an awesome picture. You always have the best photos.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Man. What a great post! Great picture too.

I am happy for you that you are content and happy.

Don't worry - I won't tell Lula about the Jaime love! Ha! And I am glad you like my playlist. It makes me happy!!

Ashley said...

I agree with Lula.. best post! I love it!

My husband and I have only been married for about 2 years now and we still have a ways to go before we accomplish our goals. But it is nice to think that one day we'll be able to enjoy the contentment that comes with reaching these goals. That being said - I am content with where we are in that process. Haha! Does that makes sense. Anyway - you are right - more people should be content.

Melissa said...

That warmed my heart. The picture at the end is so beautiful!

You have a way with words, Heather. I want the same thing for my family. I worry on a daily basis, if my children will want the same type of marriage they see in me and Eric everyday. I need to learn some contentment in my circumstances.

I have a new blog if you want to stop over. I lost your email address, but I still check your blog regularly. Stop by....

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I come over from Jen's blog about her grandma and she got me crying and now I am done for the day. I need a tissue.....
So wonderful that you have contentment. That is something that very few ever achieve. To be happy with what we have and not always look for more. That my friend is peace.

BBB said...

You know just blows me AWAY about my situation? That in the midst of all the crud, I'm really pretty happy... I'm not sure I can get to content yet... I need a different job for that, but... the peace is amazing.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

This was truly a wonderful post. A great sentiment. And something to truly take to heart. Because like you...I am so very content. And probably the happiest I have ever been. And I am ever so weary of the idea of "more, more, more."

Jane In The Jungle said...

Ok your mom made me cry.
Great post and I too, am completely content! People tell me all the time I'm crazy for homeschooling, why would I want to be around the kids all the time, they couldn't do it cause their kids would drive them crazy, on and on. But for us it's perfect, yes I have my bad days, and I am content with my life and exactly where I am in this world!!
I do worry also a little about what we'll do when the kids are gone. But by the time I get through the teenage years, they're starting now and I won't be done until forever, I will just want to sit and relax by a fire with just big Daddy hoping my job was well done!

MarciaBrady said...

Why ya gotta make a girl cry? Why?

Seriously though, I'm glad you're so content. I think that's what makes you so happy. And, are you kidding? You're very popular. I think b/c you're content, you can just be who you are and just BE. I think people like that and more people should be that way. I unfortunately am one of those people always setting goals and trying to strive for them. But, who knows, that could all change once I finish school and become a nurse. I think people who continually strive for things are clearly not completely happy with where they are and that's why they continually set those goals. They are looking for something. Know what I mean?

Sorry for the long post!! :)

I hope you have a GREAT weekend too! Are you working?

Heather said...

Have to agree with lula, best post!!!! You had me crying and by the time I had finished your mom's comment I was sobbing.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. All I ever wanted to be was a wife and a mother and that is enough for me. I don't need a career or lots of money and things. Just my family.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Post!!!! It reminded me of this quote..sorry Don't remember the Author:

We come to Love, not by finding the Perfect Person, but learning to Love the Imperfect Person, Perfectly!!!!

Shannon said...

Beautiful post.

But where is the kleenex warning?!?? I'm dripping tears on the keyboard...