Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Michelle!

Thirty-five years ago, I was born. To a blended family with a mom/stepmom, dad/stepdad, and three half-sisters. Are you confused yet? Well, let me explain...my mom was married to Ken, and they had two girls, Michelle and Kim. My dad was married to Carol, and they had one girl, Rhonda. They all got divorced, then my mom married my dad, and one year later, I was born. My sisters were 8 3/4, 7 and 5 years old when I arrived on the scene; Michelle was the oldest.

I love to hear her stories of how she treated me like I was her baby, getting up with me in the morning, picking out my clothes, carrying me all around, showering me with love and attention. (Heck, she still does all those things for me...
okay, maybe not, but I'm sure she would if I needed her to.)

One month after my arrival, Michelle turned nine years old. (Do the math...yep, she's forty-four today!)

I have so many childhood memories that involve Michelle, but even better than that, I have a gazillion adult memories of the two of us. When you're a kid, you have no choice but to be around your sister. When you're both grown up, with husbands and kids and jobs, you do have a choice. And Michelle and I have made the choice over and over again to be a part of one another's lives. She is my rock, and I am hers. We both know that nothing could ever separate us from the love we have for each other. I thank God that He knew to give me such an incredible sister, 'cause I don't know where I'd be without her.

Okay, enough of the mushy stuff...now for the fun part...pictures!

Michelle has always been game to my crazy schemes, and I to hers. Seeing Twilight together was a given, since she convinced (badgered, harassed, teamed up with Lula) me to read the first book, which she knew would get me hooked enough to read the next three. Did we love it? Yep. Did we have a great time? Yep. Did we totally crack each other up? Oh, definitely.

This one was totally me. After becoming online, then phone, friends with Lula, we began talking about meeting up in "real-life". I called Michelle and told her "We're goin' to Lulaville!", and all she asked was "When?". The rest is history, and another post altogether (I'm sure you've read it by now).

I love Michelle for so many reasons, but a huge one is how much she loves my babies. She always has. And they love her right back. Here she is on Gabe's 4th birthday, with a big bowl of her homemade macaroni-and-cheese (his faberit, dontcha know). She even put a candle in it! He loved it, and ate the whole bowl by himself, eventually.

When I started scrapbooking ten years ago, so did Michelle. Oh, we spent so many Thursday nights at her house, scrapping and talking and watching ER, then drooling over Pete Delkus, the weatherman on Channel 9. Good times. We have been on three scrapbooking retreats together, and I would never go without her. The girl has got some bitchin' computer talent (which I seriously lack), and her scrapbooks are awesome. My favorite: when she handmade a pool table, complete with balls and sticks, for a page. Michelle, you so need to scan that page and post it. I'm just sayin'. Here we are on our last retreat this past March. It was a fancy hat and pearls dinner night...

Although our sister, Kim, doesn't hang out with our family, like, ever, we're okay with that. We still have each other, and our sister, Rhonda. She totally gets us, and joins in on the fun when she can. This is last Christmas...don't even ask.
I looked and looked for the perfect quote for this post, and I found a few. This was my faberit.


"There is no better friend than a sister, and there is no better sister than you." Author unknown


Michelle, I hope you have a terrific day, free from pudding disasters at work and drama at home. I can't wait to see you on Thursday (especially 'cause you're bringing my faberit, spinach and artichoke dip...yum!). I love you to pieces, girl. And I always will.

21 comments:

Becky said...

Awww... I want a sister!

Happy Birthday Michelle. You 2 are tricky....you are not just over the hill! You are up and down it girl!

Katy said...

I want a sister too!! Have a wonderful day Michelle and you are a great sister Heather!

I will looking into postage for your poster tomorrow..!

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute post for your sister. You 2 are very lucky to be so close. Happy Birthday Michelle!

Suzann said...

Wonderful post. How awesome to have a sister that you are so close to.

Michelle said...

Yes, she is my sister, thankyouverymuch, and I love her. Thanks Heather! What she didn't tell you were all the times I tricked her into doing things when she was little, like tying her up and leaving her in a dark room, just to make her cry. I didn't do that often but we wouldn't be sister if I didn't. I don't think we have ever had a fight. It has always been great for us.

Thanks for this lovely post. As always, it put my little post for your birthday to shame, but that is the difference between you and me. You are a word wizard.

Looking back at that picture of Gabe, he doesn't look to excited about the mac n chesse, but I know he just couldn't figure why the heck we put a candle in it. That is cracking me up.

And guess what! No tears, just big smiles this morning. Thanks, I love you.

Heathersmom said...

Well, you made me cry. I am so happy that my girls are also such good friends as well as sisters, and that I have a step-daughter that I just love. I am always glad to see you altogether. I am really looking forward to thursday because we all get to be together with family and friends. (Catherine and her family are so great) Love, Mom

Jane In The Jungle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane In The Jungle said...

Sorry messed up the first one!
that's what I get for being computer illiterate!!

OK Heather,
Can I please borrow Michelle when I need her??? Please.. I don't have a sister..... Sounds like they come in so handy!!LOL!

Jen said...

what a great sister to have and I love that quote. I hope that your sister has an awesome birthday.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!!

I have 4 sisters and I'm only close to one of them and she lives in New Hampshire.....too far away!

The Wife O Riley said...

That is a wonderful post!!!! I hooked my sister on Twilight this week. She has told me that I have ruined every other book for her now.

BBB said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!! Birthdays ROCK!!!

Ashley said...

Such a sweet post. Happy Birthday Michelle!

The Wife O Riley said...

There's an award for you on my blog.

Kori said...

Oh How wonderful.

Loved this post!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I hope that Michelle had a fabulous day today. You're lucky to have a sister...what a blessing!

WheresMyAngels said...

What a great post! Michelle is such a hoot. I'm glad she is my bloggy friend, even though I have to hear about her twilight affair! lol

The pictures were great and I WANT to see that page she scrapped!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

So great to have someone so wonderful in your life. Happy Birthday Michelle.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

What a sweet post! I always wanted a sister. And I keep trying to convince my girls how lucky they are to have each other. Of course my preachin' only seems to happen when they are fighting. Might want to remind them again when they are playing nicely.

Heather said...

I totally miss Pete Delkus!! Steve doesn't even compare!

Shannon said...

What a sweet post!