Thursday, August 7, 2008

Addiction

Definition of Addiction

Addiction: A chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain. Addiction is the same irrespective of whether the drug is alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or nicotine (or a certain book series by author Stephenie Meyer). Every addictive substance induces pleasant states or relieves distress. Continued use of the addictive substance induces adaptive changes in the brain that lead to tolerance, physical dependence, uncontrollable craving and, all too often, relapse. Dependence is at such a point that stopping is very difficult and causes severe physical and mental reactions from withdrawal. The risk of addiction is in part inherited. (I can attest to that...my mom and dad were always reading a book, and my sister taught me to read when I was four years old).

I keep thinking that I will tire of blogging about this book series, but I just can't help it. I am utterly addicted, and just like Lula, I'm sure when I finish the final book, I will go back and re-read all of them again until December 12th, when the movie finally comes out. Poor Joe, he can never compare to Edward (of course, I'm very grateful that Joe isn't a vampire...I guess). God bless that Stephanie Meyer, who knew a vampire could be so sexy? (I never did watch "Interview with a Vampire"...I'm pretty sure "Salem's Lot" was the last vampire movie I ever saw).

Becky, I am bringing you my copy tomorrow morning at the gym. Catherine, you better call me when you finish reading yours. Maybe our girls night out on the 14th at the Melting Pot can be our inaugural "book club" night, and we can talk about Edward and Bella all evening!

Meanwhile, all you "Twilight" virgins out there...beware of the risk of becoming totally addicted to this book and the characters within. I don't think there is a cure.



9 comments:

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

That is all I need to get addicted to another book -- Just finished reading the cotton stone series and can't wait for the next book in Oct. to come out -- I've seen interview with the vampire I loved it. I guess i'm going to check this book out.

Maternal Mirth said...

Ooooh ... how could you sit through Salem's Lot? I could barely finish the book. That's why I read because I can always close the book when I get too a-scared :)

Thanks for the comment!

Michelle said...

Danielle is almost finished with Twilight and she told me yesterday "I have a crush on Edward", just the effect I was hoping the book would have on her. How great to be 16 reading it. I am still pacing myself with Eclipse, savoring every word. BTW on a different note, we bought Danielle a CAR, sniff sniff. Pray for me.

BBB said...

I'm still trying to convince myself I need to read these books... I mean... vampires???

HiHoOhio said...

Still a virgin, so afraid to take the leap!

Honorary Indian said...

If loving Edward and Bella is wrong...I don't wanna be right!

Delving deeper into book #4...and lovin' it!

Tracy P. said...

Hi Heather! Stopped by from SITS the other day--but I think I got interrupted before saying hello. Fun blog, CUTE kids!

Unknown said...

I know all about this addiction. I finished the first 3 in the series in 4 days. I savored BD and it took me 2 days to read. Congrats on being a Saucy Blog!

Lula! said...

See, Heather? I KNEW you'd get it. I knew. I just did.

We are SO friends. Forever.

I wanna come to the Melting Pot with y'all. I wanna dip and dunk and discuss the glory that is Twilight. And Edward. I kinda dig him a lot. Sigh...

Yeah, I'm addicted. I admit it.