Friday, May 9, 2008

Laughing and Crying...


Wish I could make this photo bigger, but you get the gist. I don't know whether to laugh at the joke, or cry because it's practically true. The price of a gallon of gas is expected to hit $4.00 today, and the thought just makes me sick. Already I have adjusted my life to accomodate this insane expense; I no longer visit my friends in Indiana and Kentucky, I work a 16-hour shift so I can squeeze more hours in with less driving down to Cincinnati, I have to budget my money well to afford to fill up my van in order to get to work and around town...it's great to be a little conservative, but this is just too much. What on earth can we do? I can't ride my bike 30 miles one way to Cincinnati, and I love Christ Hospital too much to work anywhere else. We're not even planning anymore vacations this year, mainly because it will just cost too much to get anywhere! I hate that!
Can you hear this cheerful Beatles song, "Drive my Car", which was released in 1966, when the price of gas was $0.32 per gallon? I think I'm going to PARK my car for awhile, and figure out a way to harness Gabe's energy and transform it into a source of fuel :) Wouldn't that be a great invention?!
Off to bed I go...clearly I am very tired and cranky. Happy Freakin' High Priced-Gas Friday!

1 comment:

sojourner said...

I’ve decided to put a positive spin on this particular problem – as prices go up imagination and creativity will increase. Stagnation has a way of blocking imagination. We are currently stuck with the need for fuel in order to live our lives and with gas prices rising we want somebody to provide us with relief. I’m afraid it will take something catastrophic in order for us to find a way around the fuel problem. If we put a positive spin on the negative situation, perhaps our imaginations will have fertile soil to germinate new ides – individually and collectively. For example, more people are staying home on the weekends in my neighborhood and I’ve noticed people visiting with each other in their front yards. My family has been staying closer to home and we’ve been spending more time together grilling in the back yard and playing games. I'm not ready to give up my arm, leg, or my first born! (Sorry about the long comment - I'm sharing your pain!)