Monday, April 19, 2010
Birds and bees...
Well, that's not really how it went.
I wasn't planning on having "the talk" with Isabel tonight, but as we headed out on our nightly walk, the subject came up and I jumped on the opportunity.
At ten years old, she already knew "some stuff". From books, and friends, and television.
We talked (and walked) for forty-five minutes.
She was a little embarrassed at first, but she got over it.
She still thinks penises are gross (thank the Lord).
She knows she can talk to me about anything, and I will not judge or ridicule her.
I hope she is always this comfortable talking to me.
Have you had the talk yet? Do you remember having the talk with your mom (or dad)?
I'm breathing a sigh of relief that the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. That's a tough one...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Yes, we have had "the talk" with our kids. Even the 8 year old has a basic knowledge (nothing too detailed). When our boys started 6th grade, one of the teachers told us we better tell them our version before they heard it from the kids at school. So we told them they were born in a cabbage patch. The end. LOL, not really. The boys got a pretty detailed version. And their response was, EWW, gross.
And we just smiled and thought, Yeah, that's what you say now, but in a couple years, we'll see what song you are singing.
I know you remember my turn at this - http://hottublizzy.blogspot.com/2008/07/mommy-why-do-girls-or-how-to-traumatize.html
We've had a little bit of "the talk". I actually went into further detail just last week... figured my girls needed a little more information when they started talking about wanting our dog and my MIL's dog (both are females) to have puppies. They seemed a little perplexed as to why this wouldn't work...
After our little chat, Hannah exclaimed, "I'm never doing that! I'm just going to adopt!"
I don't remember the first talk my mom had with me/us. My mom did it when we were really young because she wanted us to know what all the parts were and how they worked so that if someone ever messed with us we would know how to talk about it and more importantly, to tell them NO.
I don't look forward to this conversation with Sophie, but I plan to do it pretty early.
My parents never had that "talk" with me... haha! I'm so thankful too!
But in today's world, you GOTTA have that talk - I mean, with commercials for erectile dysfunction during family dinner time - what the heck is THAT?!?!?!
Well, just let hubs know he has the two boys to have to look forward to those talks with! Your job is done! :)
I've had 2 talks already.
With Vic I think I was more scared than he was.
With Caitlyn she covered her ears half the time screaming La La La. Now we're both better about it.
UGH. Now it's time for LOTS of things to be talked about with Thomas. See another Parenthood "change" post upcoming.
And just think, at one point we thought potty training was difficult.
My mother handed me the Family Illustrated Encyclopedia one day when I was home sick at age 12. Ack. She was not only graphic but told me that even though she's rather I waited if I ever wanted to go on the pill, just to let her know.
I did NOT, thank you very much. I was actuall a good girl. :)
My parents gave me a book. I wish I could remember the name but I can't. It should have been called "too medical & gross for a young girl to read" or something like that.
oh my.
can ella stay 5 forever?
We had the talk when I was in second grade. I had purchased Are You There God It's Me Margaret at the school book fair. My teacher (a nun) must have thought it was appropriate since I was a good reader and "God" was in the title. Anyway, my mom saw it and then read it and then decided we needed to have a talk. I had just skimmed over everything in the book about periods, figuring it wasn't that important. I think most of the talk was over my head, but I admire my mom's effort.
I had the talk when my oldest was 10-years-old which I felt was a tad late. I used a great book to facilitate the conversation; no sense in reinventing the wheel! I blog on this at http://pragmaticmom.com See entry: The Birds and Bees Talk. Other moms suggested books they used so there is a great selection of sex ed books for both boys and girls listed.
Hope this helps!
Pragmatic Mom
Type A Parenting for the Modern World
Yeah for you! I love that you want that kind of relationship with your children. An acquaintance of mine was recently telling me that she plans to never talk to her children about sex. I was flabbergasted and tried not to be too judgmental and also felt so sad and sorry for her four children. I also want that kind of relationship - I plan to never, ever shame them or make them scared of me so we will have that open relationship. What a wonderful mother you are, Heather!
Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com
Haven't had "the" talk yet, but Michael just turned nine and we have definitely discussed things that have come up at school and such, but the actual talk, hasn't happened yet.....:) My mom did something similiar to Brandy's and I'm glad that i have a closer relationship with my kids.....I pray it continues....
Post a Comment