Monday, April 26, 2010

A day with Gabe

All too soon, my days just hanging out with Gabe are going to come to an end.  This fall, he will start kindergarten, and I will have all three of my kids in school.

That being said, I have decided to be intentional about enjoying my time with this very-energetic-and-enthusiastic-about-everything-in-life little guy.

You may wonder what a day with Gabe is like.  I'm here to tell you, there's never a dull moment, and more likely than not, you're laughing at least once an hour when in his company.

Gabe usually wakes up around 7:30am.  Lately, he has been coming downstairs shirtless (he says he's hot, but he also likes to flex his little biceps and watch the muscle "bulge"...you pick the reason).  He likes to visit with Elijah and Isabel before they catch their buses, then he watches a show and thinks about what he wants for breakfast.

Today, he requested black olives.  For breakfast.





Unfortunately, these pictures are old, and we were all out of olives.  He had to settle for colby jack cheese, grapes and apple juice, instead.  We watched "Gremlins 2", which he loved.  Then "Jurassic Park 3".  (It's a rainy day here today, and I had to organize closets and move back into the master bathroom, so please don't judge the excessive TV time.)

After a lunch of buttered noodles with parmesean cheese and applesauce on the side, we headed out to the Goodwill to drop off some donations.  As we were driving down the road, I was telling Gabe how glad I was that the new Goodwill was finally open in town.  His response:

"I'm glad we're not sale-ing our stuff to the BAD Will; he's not very nice!".  I had to stifle a giggle on that one. It brought to mind some of the other Gabe-isms of late:

"Look, Mom, I'm having a thumb war with my penis!"  (after bath time; where does he learn this stuff?!)

Another one:  "Every time I poop, my penis stands straight up like it's saying the Pledge of Allegiance!"  (There is something about 5 year old boys and their boy-parts, I'm telling you!)

"Hey, Sissy, wanna watch a Veggietales cartoon with me so we can learn about God?"  (Love this one!)

"Mmm, Mommy, you smell good.  I love your perfoom.  You have to wear perfoom to go to work?  'Cuz you want people to get close to you and smell it?  That's what Johnny Test does."

As I type this post, Gabe is in his room building Legos (and probably making an unholy mess).  If it were nice outside, we'd be jumping on the trampoline or riding bikes or finding worms or planting seeds or building pill bug houses or having a picnic.  As it is, we'll be inside doing puzzles, playing "Don't Break the Ice" for the 100th time, coloring, reading books or playing on the computer/xbox/nintendo ds.

Spending a day with Gabe is not for everyone.  If you crave a quiet, calm and cooperative child who will sit still for hours on end, just forget about it.  But if you want to learn how to really enjoy every single minute of your day, he's your man.  And as exhausted as I sometimes am by 9pm 7pm, I do love that boy, and I know I am really going to miss these days.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Man, I wish that Gabe was our neighbor because I have a little boy here that would LOVE to play with him. Legos and worms in all. :)

Michelle said...

Ummm, seriously? Five year old boys and their boy parts? They never out grow that. Why is it they think those things are the God's greatest gift to women? Or that they are like their pets nice they pet them all night in front of anyone? I could go on and on....

Love you Gabe. Glad you are my nephew!

Michelle said...

sorry, not sure how the word nice got in there in place of and? I guess I am tired after reading about a busy day with Gabe. Haha

mep said...

Gabe will treasure this post years from now when he reads it and seems like the kind of kid who would be able to laugh at the whole thumb war/penis thing!

Sounds like you are doing a great job of enjoying your days together before he starts school!

By the way, thank you for the beautiful card! Did you make it?

CaraBee said...

I'm no expert on boys, but I have a feeling that isn't the last "thumb war" he'll be having. I don't think boys ever really lose that fascination.

He sounds like such a fun kid. He and Sophie would no doubt be quite a pair.

Suzann said...

I still miss having Thomas home with me every day - all day and he's 9.
Hats off to you for treasuring these days - I'm so happy that I realized how important those days were with Thomas!!
They grow up soooo fast.

Lula! said...

He is precious and I miss him and want to give him a hug.

Rebecca Jo said...

I cant ever get enough of the things he says... so funny! His mind is always on the go, isnt it! Bad-will... I'll tink of that when I drive by my Goodwill now! :)

Brandy said...

LOL!! He is too funny. I don't like giving to the "Bad Will" either. Of course in my mind I think of the "bad will" as the Federal Government. :D

Enjoy your time together!

brainella said...

Now that Dominic has decided he would rather be at school on Fridays than home with me, I get kinda lonely. Enjoy your time with Gabe. :) I'm jealous.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

Is he talking about Johnny Bravo? That cartoon is such a riot!
So sweet that he noticed your parfoom! Adorable!