Thursday, April 8, 2010

Funny stuff

One of my goals as a mom is to teach my kids how to have a sense of humor.  We all know those people who have not a humorous bone in their body (humorous, not humerus...get it?  Ha!).

It's a gift to be able to laugh at yourself and the many things life throws at you.  Without a sense of humor, we are bound to be lost in a sea of seriousness.  I can't stand the sound of that.

Recently, Elijah spent the day with a newer friend and his family.  When I picked him up, the mom told me she never realized how funny Elijah was.  Apparently he had them in stitches all day long, with one funny joke or response after another.  Sometimes adolescent boy-humor is hard to understand, but I have to agree with her; he is a funny kid.  Not afraid to be silly, even in public with his whole family (and a mom with her camera!).


Gabe is still learning the humor thing.  He's five, so you know anything with the word "fart" or "turd" or "wiener" is absolutely hilarious.  He loves to tell jokes, but the punchline often doesn't make any sense...no matter, he still laughs like a hyena, which makes us laugh, which makes him think his joke really is funny.


(And yes, that really is E.T.  We still have our lifesize doll, which Gabe insists on taking everywhere with us every so often.  Today was an "E.T. Day".  Love it!)

Although Isabel hates being teased (don't we all??) and gets offended easily if the joke's on her (we're still working on the gift of laughing at yourself), she does have a good sense of humor.  She's the one who noticed the irony of this sign:

Isn't that field of charred black dirt simply gorgeous?

What about you?  Do you have a good sense of humor?  Were you the class clown?  Or the proverbial stick-in-the-mud?  When's the last time you had a good belly laugh at your own expense?

5 comments:

CaraBee said...

I don't think I'm a laugh a minute, but I have my moments. I'm pretty good at laughing at myself, though. I do too many stupid things not to have that gift.

"A house is not a home without laughter."

Rebecca Jo said...

Gotta love a 5 yr old's sense of humor... sadly, those same words tend to get grown men still laughing!!! haha!!!

A Sense of humor is probably the best trait ANYONE can have! What a good mom to teach your kiddos how to laugh at themselves!

brainella said...

Dominic and Gabe would be best buddies; the "jokes" we hear make no sense whatsoever. But boy does he laugh at them. I need to start video taping it. We made the mistake of telling him the chicken crossing the road joke; we now hear it A LOT. :)

VKT said...

I love teaching kindergarten. I overheard one student tell a visiting student, "she's old but she's funny!" We do laugh a lot in kindergarten. I would love to meet your son. I bet he is a hoot.

Natalie said...

Oh precious, precious. I laugh at myself each and every day - I have to. Otherwise, I just might cry...:)Teaching your children this trait is a HUGE gift you are giving them!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com