Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Joy


Trying to explain the true meaning of Easter to my kids this year has been interesting, to say the least.  Elijah and Isabel are old enough to understand the stories and why this is the most important holiday to us as Christians.

Gabe is still trying to figure out what Jesus has to do with the Easter Bunny.

I decided this year to not emphasize the Easter Bunny at all.  When he asks me if the Bunny is real, I ask him what he thinks (he always answers himself with an emphatic yes!).  Then I go on to explain that Easter is really about the day that Jesus defeated Death and was brought back to life by God, and that by doing so, we will all get to live forever in Heaven with the two of them, as long as we have Jesus in our hearts.

To which he exclaimed:

"What?!  That's awesome!  Did you hear that, Sissy?  Jesus is coming back to life TOMORROW!  Are we going up to Heaven tomorrow?  But I will miss my toys..."



Resurrection, the Second Coming...these are awfully big ideas for such a little boy.  I love his excitement about Jesus, though!

Wishing you all a very blessed Easter Sunday!

6 comments:

CaraBee said...

You mean the Easter Bunny isn't real?

(sobbing)

Happy Easter!

Shannon said...

Oh, that Gabe! What a corker he is.


Happy Easter to you, too!

brainella said...

Have a blessed Easter, Heather!

Suzann said...

Happy Easter!

Rebecca Jo said...

How precious is Gabe!!!!!

I hope you have had a wonderful day celebrating our RISEN LORD! & Glad Gabe has anoher day with his toys! :) haha!!!

Natalie said...

OH I love it - we did do baskets but de-emphasized the bunny as well. I do not think Santa and the bunny are bad as long as they know the real meaning - we also had a child tell Sarah that the bunny was not real so we asked her "What do you think?" to which she emphatically stated "Yes!" Love it.

What a beautiful post, Heather. He has risen indeed.

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com