When I was a kid, I distinctly remember December being the longest month of the year.
When did that change?
When I had kids of my own?
'Cause now December is the shortest month of the year. Packed full of shopping, Christmas card making/mailing, gift-making, work parties and friend gatherings, Santa breakfasts and family traditions. Not to mention putting up the tree and all the decorations and outside lights... Combine that with trying to work to earn enough money to pay for Christmas, and you have a month that flies by faster than you can say "Feliz Navidad!".
Time is standing still for Gabe and Elijah and Isabel, though. Even though we count down the days on our advent calendar, to them it seems that December 25th will never get here. To me, I see "14 days til Christmas" and I get a little panicky inside.
I suppose when the kids are grown and out of the house, December will be back to being like any other month. For now, I guess I'll strap on my seatbelt and try to enjoy the ride!
I may need a bottle (or three) of wine, though. Just sayin'.
9 comments:
I'm so with you. I was just thinking that the first two weeks of this month have gone by painfully fast. Like, wasn't it just November?
Meanwhile, I have done next to no shopping, the cards are just barely out of concept stage and we haven't even put up our tree yet. Lucky my kid has no understanding of Christmas.
Amen! I feel the same way. Whenever someones says "xx days to Christmas" I want to slap them.
"I know, don't remind me!" I say. Because I haven't even thought of Christmas cards, wrapped the first thing or finished shopping. Ugh.
Forget December - I'm thinking the whole year! I can remember thinking Christmas took FOREVER to come around again... & I swear, I think I just put my tree away & here we are with it back up again... how did THAT happen????
Just last night Dominic was saying that Christmas "was just too far away...." I remember that feeling. The anticipation and glee. Now I'm just stressed out because I've got NOT TIME. I need some happy eggnog.
I just keep hoping for January.
Is it here yet?
Is Christmas over?
Wake me when it is.
Since when is enduring December with wine a crime? Wine is mentioned PLENTY of times in the bible.....
:-)
Seriously, I do have to say that THIS year is the first year that all 3 little Indians are fully aware of the true meaning of Christmas vs. all the materialistic stuff that goes along with this time of year.
So, I'm savoring it like crazy. But, yes, I'm still drinking the wine.
:-)
I'm drinking some wine myself, so no judgment from me! I actually had to carry everything I bought yesterday upstairs to let it hang out there for the week, because I just did not get around to wrapping today. I have NO idea when I will get cards done. At this rate they'll be Easter greetings! LOL!
thought we HAD that bottle of wine??!!! need pictures!
Strap on and enjoy it indeed. Because take it from me....when the kids move out, the Christmases just aren't the same. :(
Post a Comment