Sunday, December 27, 2009

Back to School


Nope, I'm not talking about my kids.

I'm talking about me!

When I graduated from nursing school back in 1994, I had my diploma as a Registered Nurse. There wasn't much of a push back then to get your Bachelor's Degree, and I really never intended to go into administration, where a degree was required.

Fifteen years, three kids and several job changes later, here I am in administration as a Nursing Supervisor. Christ Hospital is offering nurses the chance to get their BSN through a program with UC, one night a week for two and a half years, all expenses paid. How do you refuse that?!

I have to admit, I'm excited to be back in the classroom again. My first class is American History; we only meet three times and the rest is online. (Can you believe we didn't even have internet when I graduated?!). It will be interesting to be studying alongside my kids in the evening, and good for them to see, don't you think?

Who knows, maybe a Master's Degree will be next?

It made me curious to know, what kind of education do you all have? Do you think you'll ever go back to college (or go for the first time)? What's your dream job?

14 comments:

Suzann said...

YES!
YES! I AM going to go back to college.
My dream job???? A teacher. or a Librarian.
More realistically??? Graphic Arts.
My goal is to start in 2010.
I'm soooo excited for you!!!

Jen said...

How could you not go? That is really awesome!

I have my BSN and right now, I have a job that I love.

Rebecca Jo said...

THAT IS SO EXCITING!!!!

I would give anything to go back to school... I always wanted to go back & become a teacher... but sadly, hubs thinks its a horrible idea...

So proud & thrilled for you!!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I ponder the idea of going back all the time. But I am just not sure what I would do with myself. My plan was always academia. But children...well, they take my time and my brain cells. I was working on my PhD when I had Katie...and right now I am abd (or all but dissertation).

CaraBee said...

I have my bachelors and have been contemplating a masters for a decade now. My old job would have paid for it, but the time commitment was just more than I could do. Now I wish that I had sucked it up and done it.

I just finished a photography class, though, and now I kind of have the bug. I'll definitely be taking another class in the spring. Not really working towards anything, just for the joy of learning.

Good for you for taking the plunge!! You'll do great!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Yes i hope to get my RN but want to get settled in the new job first.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

oops sorry to not tell you that is so cool!! Way to go with this new adventure, you will do great.

Shannon said...

Good for you!

I've only completed 3 semesters of college. At the time, I had NO idea what I wanted to do (my major was Secondary English Education... but after my 1st education class, I was beginning to have doubts)

I've thought about going back to finish... but STILL have no idea as to what I'd want to do!

Shelley said...

how totally awesome Heather. I'm glad that your employer has a good continuing education program.
As for me, I graduated high school and had some technical training (First Responder, Firefighter). I had state training for computers when I worked for the sheriff's office and other mandatory training. At this late date I don't believe that I have the brain cells to go back to school though. I would love to take some history classes just because it is my favorite subject.

brainella said...

BA in history; MS in library science. I left a good job to go back to school for my PhD in 2000 and then promptly left because, honestly, it was the biggest waste of time and one of the worst experiences of my life. No, I'm not bitter. And no, I'm never going back to school again.

Dream job? I know I'll sound like a dork, but I'd love to work for the Congressional Research Service at the Library of Congress.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Good for you! I'm sure you will love it! My sister in law is doing the exact same thing.

I have a degree in Business Management and was a manager for 10 years.

BBB said...

I'm so excited for you! That's awesome and seriously, how CAN you pass that up??!!??!?!?!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Congrats on going back to school....I think its amazing!!!

Me, I have an associates in special education. I thought about going back to school several times but my kids always came first. Now I feel to old and tired all the time! :)
And I LOVE my job both as bus driver & with my Autistic babies at school!

My dream job has always been a nurse!!! John always said there is no one you can be a nurse....you fainted when Meg got stitches!! :)

Angela said...

So exciting! I remember you mentioning this when we chatted at the cabin in Pigeon Forge! I am so proud of you and I bet it will be so much fun! Let me know how you like the history class! I love history, though I prefer European to American. Not sure why. I was like that with my literature classes too (English major). Always preferred British lit to Am lit, but really I enjoy all history. As long as it's not American presidential history, which I just never could master, LOL! My father still despairs that I cannot name the first ten presidents, in order (or at all!!)