This will (probably) be her last big party until she turns sixteen.
We sat and brainstormed about the guest list, the date and the theme.
She's too old for a tea party (done that), she doesn't want to go to Run, Jump 'n Play (done that, too), and the thought of a dozen girls sleeping over makes me want to drink.
After a bit of thought, Isabel came up with an idea (all on her own).
An Eighties Themed party!
Really? What do you know about the 80's? Enough to know it sounds fun, she said.
She googled the 80's. (Um, they didn't even have the internet then, I told her. We should be using an encyclopedia, like I had to do!)
We made the invitations, came up with some food ideas, and now we need to shop for 80's stuff. It's a costume party, so we're on the search for leg warmers, neon colored shirts, and jelly shoes (do they even make those anymore?).
All this planning has brought back so many memories. I think I'm going to have more fun than the girls! Take a little trip with me, and see how much you remember...
*sigh*
Jon Bon Jovi, in his big hair days. We were all "Living on a Prayer", weren't we?

My kids still love the Rubik's Cube! I'm gonna see if I can find some mini ones for party favors...

Still remember the theme song from this show? I loved the Love Boat!
And who didn't want to date Mike Seaver? Or be a member of this family? (Although Carol bugged the hell out of me, I have to say.)
My favorite movie of the 80's, and maybe all-time. I still remember seeing my dad wipe a tear away when we thought ET was dying, sitting at the theater in Northgate. (And I still have that lifesize ET doll; he will SO be at the party!)

I'm sure you've seen this "You know you grew up in the 80's if..."; here's just a snippet:

I'm sure you've seen this "You know you grew up in the 80's if..."; here's just a snippet:
*You know all the words to Bon Jovi - > YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME.
*You just sang those words to yourself.
*Homemade Levi shorts, the shorter the better (hello, see Jon's photo above).
*You remember when mullets were cool!
*You had a mullet!
*You still sing "We are the World".
*You tight rolled (pegged) your jeans.
*You owned a banana clip.
*You remember "Where's the Beef?".
*You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?".
*You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
*You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you?
Can't wait to share photos of the party with you! If you have any great ideas, please share.
And you're welcome for putting that song in your head. Hey, it's better than "Feliz Navidad", right?


12 comments:
I have that song on my iPod! I can listen to it right now. :)
BTW...I'm the person that won your homemade cards from the auction for Kori. I realized last night that it was you that made them. I love them! :-)
Ahhh - the 80's! My favorite era! When MTV actually played music videos... the good ole days!
Be sure to get lots of aqua net. Let the girls know how it felt to inhale the fumes of the 80's while getting the mall bangs that withstood gravity!!!! :)
Cant wait to see the pics!
I never had a mullett but I did love my banana clips. It made my curls look snazzy.
I'm excited to see all your pictures!
Woo-Hoo! I can so rock this party. I had a mullet, I had punk spiked hair (only on top - the rest was very long). I had BIG hair, leg warmers, banana clips, parachute pants, shirts with zippers, those kookie head bands the you wore on your forehead (Let's Get Physical), I rocked to Jane Fonda's workout, I had those scrunchy socks and reebok shoes, bangle bracelets too. I can still make big hair. (my one perk to Caitlyn being a cheerleader).
Funny story...Last year they had an 80's day at school and I did Caitlyn's hair and make-up. One of her teachers is an old classmate of mine. When she walked into class his first words were - Your mom did you up, didn't she. LOL. Oh, I'm coming to this party. LOL
this sounds like its going to be a totally awesome party.
But I have to admit, it makes me feel old when a little girl wants to go back and have an 80's party. But I guess that is what my mom felt like when I wanted a 60's theme. ;)
Look. At. Those. Shorts. It's like a car wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't look away.
I used to work at a 70s/80s theme bar. People LOVED it. The music, the clothes, everything. The good news is that a lot of the styles that were popular back then are coming back.
The other night I pegged my jeans. No lie. I saw it in some fashion magazine and I thought, what the heck, I'll take a little trip down memory lane. It lasted about four seconds and then I unrolled them. That is one style I hope doesn't make a resurgence.
Oh DUDE. We Are the World. Still so awesome!
Did you hear that Miley Cyruse is doing a remake of "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"? Hilarious. Especially since, she was not even alive or a thought in her parents mind at the time this song came out.
Big hair. Couldn't get the bangs high enough. I remember when biker shorts were in style. Big socks were such a tubular thing. Remember the movie Valley Girl with Nicolas Cage? ♫"I'll stop the world and melt with you....."♫
Love it! And yes, the 80's type stuff is back these days, so you should not have any problem finding jellies! I can't wait to see the pics!!
(And I'm still singing Bon Jovi. Thanks Heather, LOL!)
I want an INVITATION to this 80s party!!!!!
FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, oh, yeah...don't knock "Feliz Navidad"....when you live in "little Mexico" (as we affectionately call San Antonio) that song is played EVERYWHERE. And it becomes a part of you.
Just ask Catherine.
Again...I WANT TO COME TO THE 80s PARTY! GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!
FUN FUN!!!
Banana clips...they would get stuck in my hair.
Love ET
Set up a little area in a corner and take individual & group photos of the kids acting like someone from the 80's...
I can't wait to hear all about this party! Sounds like so much fun!
Post a Comment