I have never watched Food Network.
That's not to say I don't love to cook; I do. I would just rather open up a cookbook for a recipe than try to watch someone on TV while I attempt to keep up with them in my own kitchen (hello, I don't even have a TV in there!). Not to mention the fact that Racheal Ray makes me feel totally inadequate (in a culinary-sort-of-way).
When my sister in law gave me one of Rachael's cookbooks as a gift, it took me awhile to even open the darn thing. Once I got over myself and my insecurities, I found some interesting-sounding recipes. The kids were nervous, Joe was just glad to have a home-cooked meal in front of him, and I found a few winners all around. This one is our current favorite:
"Harvest Creamy Corn 'Choup'" (p.76 from her book Just in Time)
A combination of a chowder and a soup; perfect on a cold winter's day!
Ingredients (slightly modified for my picky family):
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 onion, chopped (I use frozen, already chopped)
4 to 5 ears of corn (whatever; I used a 10 oz bag of frozen corn)
1 medium zucchini (NO WAY, JOSE! I left this out)
1 pound small potatoes, chopped (frozen again...plain hash brown potatoes, yum!)
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (fresh for this one)
1 bay leaf
5 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 tsp dried thyme, which I always have on hand)
1 t paprika
salt and black pepper
3 T all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream (I used two cups of half-and-half...same difference, right?)
Tobasco to taste

Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over med-high heat. Add the bacon to the hot oil and cook until crisp at the edges (she says 2 to 3 min; I say 6 to 7).

(Lula is the one who tipped me off on the frozen potatoes; my friend, Emily, introduced me to the loveliness that is frozen chopped onions...no more stinky hands!)
Add the bay leaf, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Sprinkle the flour around the pot, and stir and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the stock and bring it up to a bubble. When it thickens up a bit, stir in the half-and-half and simmer for 5 minutes. Don't forget to discard the bay leaf!At this point, the soup is done (only 30 minutes!), but I prefer to let it simmer a bit longer while I make the cornbread. Rachael suggests serving this choup with popcorn; the kids thought that was pretty cool, having popcorn with dinner :)
If you like corn, potatoes, and chowder, you'll love this! We rarely have any leftover, and if we do, even Joe eats it (and he NEVER eats leftovers).
I'm sure you could find a more printable recipe on Food Network's website, if you're game. Enjoy, and make sure you let me know how you like it!


10 comments:
Hello~ I am Peter from Hong Kong~
Just hanging in and visiting your blog ^ ^
I'm a Christian too~ May God bless your family with Love and Peace.
Best Wishes,
Peter
YUMMO!!!
I will definitely be trying this out. Probably on Sunday. I'll let you know what I think.
Oh and I can't believe you haven't watched Food Network....I am obsessed with that channel...that an the ID channel.
YUM. But I gotta say a couple o' things.
I had no idea you could buy pre-chopped onions.
I never would have thought you could use hash browns in place of a potato either.
I'm definitely going to make it.
Now, I would love a recipe for Creamy Chicken and wild-rice soup AND baked potato soup. Got anything up your sleeve? : )
Love pre-chopped anything. Esp. onions!!!! They make my eyes water when I have to chop them. I use the seasoning blend with onion, pepper, parsley, and celery that is pre-chopped for my chili and my spaghetti. It's incredible!!!!
I will definitely be trying this recipe.
I love the Food Network! And that soup looks awesome!
Looks delish. Do you have any left? I will try it tomorrow, if I can make it over through all the snow. lol.
Ummmm....really, who is Peter? Did you check it out?
We love the Food Network. Not so much the actual cooking shows... but Unwrapped, Iron Chef and the Food Network Challenge shows!
The "choup" sounds yummy... may have to try this one!
I love corn chowder. And I have pretty much everything on that list. No cream, though. Since we're not going anywhere (thank you mother nature!), I wonder if I could sub milk and call it a day?
That looks so good, all I have been making lately is things containing a high amount of chocolate in them.
Looks yummy! I have a confession: Food Network is my FAVORITE channel. LOL! I never try to cook what I'm watching them make; I just watch and note recipes to try for later. But it really is my preferred programming!
I am among those who love Rachael, but I understand why watching her drives some people nuts. I love her food and her personality, so she doesn't bother me. I don't agree that most of her meals are truly 30 minute endeavors, as I don't like to rush around my kitchen (and I don't have a crew waiting to clean up no matter how many dishes I dirty, LOL) but I do love most every recipe of hers I've ever tried. Which book did you get?
Post a Comment