I'm talking about finding something in your life to be passionate about.
Like your career. Or art. Maybe a sport.
I am pretty passionate about a lot of things.
My children. God. Scrapbooking. My career as a nurse.
And most recently? Running.
One of our jobs as parents is to help foster this ability to be passionate in our kids.
Gabe is passionate about many things (Hot Wheels, roller coasters, Legos). I will try to give him a way to focus these passions later...
Elijah is passionate about sports. During baseball season, he is all about baseball. Not just his team, but the Major Leagues, the Minor Leagues, even college ball. During football season, his focus changes again.
Isabel is passionate about art, and reading, and God. She is not so much into sports (kinda like me at that age). I played softball for four years, but I was not all that good, and I was definitely not passionate about it.
So when a friend told me about a program called "Girls on the Run", I was interested.It is a program for preteen girls, starting at the third grade level, in which they train for a 5K race and learn how to feel empowered. Confident. Good about themselves. And get into shape in the process.
They are mainly located in the greater Cincinnati area, but I think the idea will quickly spread all over. Even if you weren't a runner yesterday, you could be one today. All you need is a pair of shoes and some motivation.
Isabel loves to run with me. And I love to run with her. I can't wait to help coach her team this fall, and help her develop a passion for herself!
If you're interested, here is the link:
What do you want your kids to be passionate about? What are you passionate about? I wanna know!
13 comments:
Well, i have been inspired by you and another blogging lady, Ashley, to get passionate about running (which i think includes the over all passion for a healthy body , and a nice butt wouldn't hurt!) - i have signed up for a 10km run at the Gold Coast next month - scared doesn't describe it! But i know if i train hard i can atleast finish the race!
I am also very passionate about creating things that can make other people happy :-) I hope to teach that to any kiddywinks i may have in the future....
How fun!!
I think it will spread quickly as well.
What a great way to develop a strong mother/daughter bond as well. Running along side each other....I can see many many years of this new tradition. What a great thing to be passionate about!!
Wonderful post.
I am passionate about lots of things. My stitching, my kids, books, the bible (studying and God) and a few other things. Like, I am very passionate about where I live. I have a deep-rooted passion to make everything just so. I want to be passionate about exercise - I let that go, but I'm working on it again.
My eldest is passionate about skateboarding, art, computers, music, movies, and upsetting his mama.
Cait (the middle child) is passionate about cheer and her hair. LOL
Thomas is passionate about Pokemon, Star Wars, and Star Trek. It used to be Thomas the Tank Engine, but we're 8 now.
I hope to get my children to develop a passion for exercise and reading. I'm working on it - gotta do by example.
GREAT post Chicka.
What a fantastic idea!! The memories your daughter will have running with you! What an inspiration to see her mom spending time with her & doing something good for your body - I LOVE THIS!!!!
One of my daughters is just passionate about art - another is passionate about science... the other - passionate about driving her dad nuts!!!!
very cool! I have much passion for the same things as you! I like that you guys can do that together and I cannot wait (well, I can...I dont want her to get big yet) until I can do that sort of stuff with Mallory!
Unfortunately, I have no idea what Emerson is passionate about, if there's anything. That is one of our goals this summer. To try a bunch of different things that we always wanted to try. She has always wanted to build something with wood, and I am taking her to Home Depot on Saturday for the Kids Workshop.
Vivi is passionate about Curious George, Cars, and Noggin.
I am trying to figure out what I'm passionate for, I seemed to have lost that along the way.
What a great thing! That is so awesome that you two enjoy running together.
This is awesome, Heather! I'm a member of our local running club and volunteer sometimes. I just sent an email to one of the main organizers in our area about this group. It looks like they have clubs set up across the U.S. (girlsontherun.org) but none in AL. Maybe we can change that!!!
This sounds great! You guys will have a lot of fun!
Ashlyn is passionate about dance. I really don't care what whe is passionate about just as long as it is healthy for her body and mind.
Adyson is passionate about water and outside (at least right now).
What a great idea. I think it will spread quickly as well.
My girls passions have changed over time, and I think that is a good thing as it shows their growth and development.
Enjoy the time with your daughter and the bond y'all will form over running.
I can't wait until the Girl and I can share a passion like that. Blowing bubbles and water balloons can only go so far!
But all the kids and I share a passion for music, I have raised kindred spirits!
Right now I am passionate about un-packing boxes and finding that missing box, that I think did not make it on the truck.
You are such an inspiration to do that for yourself and your kids. Sounds good, but I think I will change it to biking - personally I hate to run, but give me a long stretch of road and my bike and I am gone.
I just want my oldest to be passionate about anything. She's fizzling on me a little bit. I'm passionate about writing. I could sit and write a story all day long. Sometimes I do.
Post a Comment