Friday, May 7, 2010

Loving to read

Our librarians know us by name, especially Gabe, who visits every week with his preschool class and loves Miss Barb to pieces.

Gabe is starting to read!  He knows all of his letters, and can sound out many words!  He is more excited than I am about this, I think...

I thank God that my kids love to read and be read to.  On our bookshelves right now are these books:

Gabe's current favorite, the Dinosaur Cove series...


And Isabel has read my series of Little House books at least twice through...

Elijah and Isabel both read the whole Percy Jackson series, and now Elijah is hooked on the 39 Clues series (they love a book which has a sequel, can you tell?).


They come by it honestly...I love a good series.  Right now, I'm into the Anna Pigeon mystery series by Nevada Barr.  And there's a new one coming out this August.  Can't wait!



So, what are you reading these days?  Do you like a series?  Do your kids love to read?

7 comments:

CaraBee said...

So gratifying to see our children enjoy reading, isn't it? I worry that in this age of so many digital entertainments that the passion for good books will be lost. It is definitely something I hope to instill in my child.

I do like series in that if I like a character, I like to see more of them. However, I also like free-standing novels. In fact, after reading one after another trilogies and series, I'm on the lookout for good novels. Books that I can read, finish and be done with. I just finished a book called The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell. It was about a group of Jesuit explorers who visit a new planet. It was an interesting mix of sci-fi and morality.

Suzann said...

Well, you know I love a good book!!
Currently I'm reading The Last Child. I haven't spent enough time reading lately though. Gotta work on that. Thomas loves his Pokemon Graphic Novels right now and he and I are reading the Beverly Cleary books together. Caitlyn is reading some sequels to some Teen series she's reading but looking forward the the New Twilight-ish book coming out in June(?).

Rebecca Jo said...

I just love when kids read... have a love for books! I grew up just loving everything about books & it never went away... I think once you discover the hidden fun & adventures in books, you cant ever stray from that!

Love the Little House series too!!!

Right now, I'm in the middle of a VERY interesting book called "Indivisible" - I want to take time tomorrow & just sit on my front porch rocker & finish it up...

I love the "knitting series" by Debbie MacComber too... love a series with good values PLUS knitting - yipee!

brainella said...

Dominic is starting to read too, and he loves the Clone Wars books.

I'm reading the Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's very interesting. I love reading series too. The Stephanie Plum series is a fave of mine and Matthew. :)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You know I LOVE to read. All the time. And I really liked the Percy Jackson series. Did you know that he has a new series that just came out? Actually Katie and I are going to meet Rick Riordan tonight - very exciting.

E... said...

Ooooh. Anna Pigeon! Can't wait!! I just reserved a bunch of the dinosaur cove books at our library on your mention a little while ago. I know O. is going to love them.
Have you read Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear catering mysteries? Fun and fluffy.
I'm on the hunt for something good for myself lately. At loose ends between books right now, something that happens to me occasionally. Even though I know there is tons of good stuff out there, nothing is hitting the mark.

Shannon said...

I love to read. Michaela does, too... Hannah, not so much. I read the first Percy Jackson book (really liked it) and gave it to her to read... I think she's read a few chapters and that's it.

Like I said, Michaela loves to read. Series are her favorites... Magic Treehouse, Junie B. Jones, American Girl. She's already at a 3rd grade reading level, so I recently started her on the 1st Harry Potter book. Mostly we've been reading it together, I think we're on chapter 5.