Friday, May 21, 2010

Blogtrot your way to Tennessee!

When Cara and MEP had the idea of a Blogtrotting vacation post, I jumped right on it.  I knew exactly which vacation spot I would post about, too...

I've been going to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, since I was eighteen years old.  We have gone with Joe's parents almost every year since our first wedding anniversary back in 1997, and it is the kids' FAVORITE place ever.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they would choose Tennessee over Disney World.

What's the big deal about Gatlinburg, you may ask...

Well, that's what this post is all about.

First, we can drive from our home to our cabin in the Smoky Mountains in five hours.  That's a big deal when you're traveling with three kids!

Next, we love staying in a different cabin each time we come.  This one even allowed us to bring our dog, Ellie, and had a great yard (where we did Elijah's Mentos/Diet Coke explosion experiment...ever tried it?).


You can't beat a mountain sunrise, photographed from your cabin's porch while sipping hot coffee and listening to the birds sing.



I usually don't even have the van unloaded before the rest of my crew hops in the hot tub.  It's fine, because it gives me time to organize the kitchen and unpack the groceries (we always bring our own food and cook in the awesome kitchens...trying to be frugal where I can).



There are so many great kid things to do in the Smokies, like Putt-putt:



or hike:


take fun pictures:


make great memories with Mamaw Kay:



hang out at the Tanger outlet malls, eat ice cream from a vending machine, and even ride the carousel while Mom shops for some great deals:









It's even a great place to spend the weekend with your fellow blogging buddies!

7
(Estrogen Extravaganza 2009)

Wanna tell us about your favorite vacation spot?  Hop on over to the Blogtrotting blog and link up!

14 comments:

CaraBee said...

I really enjoyed Gatlinburg. I mean, OF COURSE, I was with you! How could we not have fun? It looked like it would be really good for families, too. No shortage of entertainments.

I love that photo of Gabe. That mischievous grin is how I always picture him. Such a cutie!

Jen said...

This looks like the perfect spot for a family vacation. I am going to have remember it for us someday.

Jane In The Jungle said...

I've been going to Gatlinburg since I was little and now my kids also feel it's the perfect getaway. We do a cabin also. Growing up in the flatlands of Ga we vavationed in the mountains and at the ocean...the ocean's nice...but the mountains have my heart, serenity......

E... said...

I have not been to Gatlinburg since I've had kids -- thanks for reminding me it would be an excellent spot to plan a getaway! I love the way you can just pull off the road at practically any spot you like and find a gorgeous spot to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the woods.

Rebecca Jo said...

I so enjoy Gatlinburg... which reminds me - I need to see if Ricky wants to book our cabin for this year... have been going there as long as I can remember as a child...

I have a picture of my grandbaby on that same little carosel at the Mall! haha!!!

BBB said...

that is SUCH a fun place.

except for the traffic.

Thanks for sharing your pics!!!

Trooper Thorn said...

Only kids can wear their t-shirts pulled up on their heads like that. If it wasn't for Society, I would too!

Brandy said...

It IS such a great place. There is something for everyone but I have to agree with Lizzie the traffic was not the best part. At. All.

Anonymous said...

I still remember shopping at the magnet store in Gatlinburg ... one of my all-time favorite childhood memories. And, oh, the Smokies! Gorgeous.

sheila said...

Beautiful pics and great post! I'm over from blogtrot....anyhow...I was there once when I was about three. Isn't there a thing that takes you up a mountain there? And a statue who's eyes follow you no matter where you look?

Christy said...

I love Gatlinburg! the mountains are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Although I think one of my favorite things about Gatlinburg is the fudge :-)

Natalie said...

Super fun! I have never been but that cabin is enticing...We might need to check it out - it's not too far for us, either!

Did you know that we have a dog named Ellie, too? Love it - we have so much in common, Heather!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com

mep said...

I have not been to Gatlinburg in years, but I always enjoy it. I sometimes wake up dreaming about the Apple Barn.

Suzann said...

Okay, now I want to go there. Nothing doing this year, but maybe next.
Sounds like a wonderful place to visit.