Monday, November 23, 2009

We were "Girls on the Run"!

This past Saturday was the day.

The day we had been working toward for the past ten weeks. Two practices a week, a practice 5K, a community service project, and several coaches meetings later...November 21st marked the end of our Girls on the Run fall session.

(I thought I would be relieved. Instead, I'm a bit sad. And so is Isabel. We have truly bonded over this running thing, and I love it! This will NOT be our last race, but the first of many to come.)

Joe was our Team Photographer, and he did a fantastic job. The race was held on the banks of the Ohio River, at Sawyer Point in Cincinnati. The day dawned cool and cloudy, with a high predicted of 59 degrees. Perfect running weather!



There were hundreds of girls there with their friends, coaches and running buddies (each girl had someone to run with). Every one of our fifteen girls made it to the race, wearing their matching hats we had found at the Dollar Spot in Target (man, I love that store!).

There was a DJ, booths for getting your hair painted, temporary tattoos, and face painting. The atmosphere was electric with excitement!


There were six of us coaching the girls, and we all got along so well. I'm going to miss seeing them every week! (One of the coaches couldn't make it to the race...)

Lining up at the starting line, warmed up and ready to go!


And we're off! All along the banks of the river, the scenery was gorgeous and the path was fairly flat (perfect for a first race). Isabel and I run about the same pace, which amazes me since her legs are half the length of mine. That girl rocks!


As we ran the last quarter mile, we were met with cheers and encouraging words, whistles and cowbells and the screams of our supporters. It was such an amazing feeling, I had goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes.
We finished the 3.2 mile race in 29 minutes and 59 seconds. (Two minutes faster than my first race last March!). I could not believe how well Isabel did...the girl is only nine years old!


After cheering on the rest of our team, we posed for many a photo shoot. The four of us (Monica, Maya, Isabel and myself) have been friends since the girls were in first grade; Monica is such an inspiration, having run several marathons and teaching all kinds of classes at the Y (Muscle Max, Boot Camp, to name a few). Coaching together has been a great experience!


Elijah thought it looked like so much fun, he has decided to run with us at our next race. We're thinking about the Flying Pig in May (not the marathon, more like the 5K). He did a great job of supporting his little sis!


Another avid fan was Joe. Not only did he take all the pictures, but he was bursting with pride as he watched his daughter cross that finish line, finally finding a sport that she loves!


Some of the girls had to leave right after the race, but some hung out for a few more pictures...


and one final cheer: "Girls on the run is so much fun; Girls on the run is so much fun; Girls on the run is so much fun! Yeah!"


Great job, Isabel! We are so proud of you!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Go Isabel, you are awesome!

Aspen Real Life said...

What a tremendous feat and great bonding time with your daughter.

There is no way in hell that I could get any of my boys to do that with me.

I suppose I could enter one of their downhill mountain biking races with them, NOT!

Suzann said...

Okay, I choked up reading this.
Ugh.
Isabel, do you have any idea how absolutely awesome it is that you ran a race? You trained, you were diligent and you finished in great time. Be proud, hold your head up high and know that YOU can do anything.
Do you also know how blessed you are with your mama? You are loved and treasured. Never ever forget this moment in your life.
I'm so proud of both of you!
Yup, I'm crying.

Brandy said...

You guys must be so proud! Great pictures...and I know which girls are with you b/c of those awesome Target hats. :)

Rebecca Jo said...

That is so amazingly fantastic! what a thing for the two of you to bond on & to meet others... I see MANY more races ahead of you all!!!

I got chills myself seeing you two running together... that will be something she'll remember FOREVER!

I've heard alot about the Flying Pig.. I may have to check that out myself! :)

CaraBee said...

First off, 29 minutes? Freaking fantastic! But more importantly, how great that you two got to experience that together! Seriously, I'm a little misty here.

Way to go Isabel!

Anonymous said...

I think that both of my girls are Grrreat!!!