Thursday, July 2, 2009

State of Mind

Welcome to Heather's guide on "How to arrive at a new state of mind".

1. Arrange for dependable childcare, so that you have no worries about your offspring while you're gone (thanks again, Kay!).

2. Find a great book on CD to listen to on the 3 1/2 hour drive north ("Duma Key" by Stephen King was our pick).

3. Get so excited about actually getting a three day break from everyday life that you hop on the first expressway, only to realize thirty minutes later you were supposed to be on 75 North, not 71 North (oops!).

4. Arrive without further mishap at the gorgeous bed and breakfast your husband picked out all by himself (Bashful Mermaid, here we are!).


5. Walk across the street to the beaches of Lake Erie, feeling like you're in an entirely new state, much less a new state of mind.

6. Enjoy a delicious dinner at a dockside restaurant, along with a "Summer Sipper" drink of white peach sangria (and a beer for Joe).

7. Pay a visit to the local winery. Buy lots of your favorite one (pink catawba is mine).


8. Warm up and relax in the hot tub, then robe up and model for your wife's (hundredth) photo.


9. Umm, I'm not telling.

10. Wake up to breakfast delivered right to your room, fresh from the oven.


11. Spend the day running through Cedar Point, riding roller coasters, eating your weight in thick-cut french fries and corn dogs, and laughing like kids the whole time. (Miss your kids a tiny bit, thinking how much fun they'd be having here.)


12. Collapse, exhausted, into bed after such a full day.

13. Enjoy a delicious breakfast of quiche, muffins, juice and coffee before checking out. Pack up the van, then board the local Jet Express ride to Put in Bay.


14. Walk several miles around the island, burning off those calories from the past couple of days. Find the local winery and enjoy (another) bottle of wine.


15. Take lots of photos once the sun decides to make an appearance.



16. Pose for the random stranger who kindly offers to take your picture together.


17. Hop on the return boat then make the drive back home, grateful for the chance to spend time together in a new and relaxed state of mind, even though you never even left your own state. Hug your babies and cherish the fact that they missed you as much as you missed them.

18. Start planning your next escape :)

9 comments:

Jen said...

what a fabulous get away! I am glad you had fun and I am a little jealous.

Rebecca Jo said...

Love you two get away on your own... what a good thing for married parents.. time for each other!

Anonymous said...

Love it sounds awesome and I agree with Jen I am a bit jealous!

CaraBee said...

What a perfect getaway! I keep telling Neil that we need to do something like that.

PS - How was Duma Key?

"The Queen in Residence" said...

What a great time. I love those get aways where you actually get to be a grown-up for a while.

Angie's Spot said...

Wow, that looks like an awesome getaway! I'm really jazzed for you guys (and just a tiny, ok hugely, jealous). :-)

Shannon said...

1. My girls just came home today from spending the last 2 days/nights at their great-grandparents'... so, yes, amen to dependable childcare!

2. I have never stayed at a B&B. It's on the list of things to do...

3. Mmmm... the peach sangria sounds good!

4. LOL at your #9!

5. That breakfast looks divine.

6. I haven't been to Cedar Point in over 20 years! We used to go every summer when I lived in MI... so much FUN!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I know Joe scored major brownie points for booking that get away!!

What a great job he did!

The breakfast looked amazing!! YUM!

I love seeing what other couples do! I love seeing couples so deeply in love like you two obviously are!!!

Touring a winery is right up my alley but the roller coasters no-so-much! I'm so scared of them. John loves them and that would make his year if I took him to a park to ride them.

It's so nice to get away for awhile and just enjoy each other!!

Lula! said...

You deserved EVERY MINUTE of this.

Now get yourselves down here. Just leave out the "Um, I'm not telling part." There will be no time for that in Lulaville.

Bwahahahaha!