Friday, July 10, 2009

Autumn Allergies

Remember this sweet little kitten?

Yep, that's Isabel's Autumn.

Guess who's allergic?

The mini-me of my dad, the spittin' image of his "big" papaw...

Gabe.

A couple of weeks ago, Autumn decided (along with the rest of us) that she wanted to be an outside cat. She's doing great in the great outdoors (and my kitchen counters are cat-pee-free...don't ask).

This morning, Gabe woke up at the godforsaken hour of 6:30am. I convinced him to lay back down on the couch and cover up with Sissy's soft blankie.

An hour later, a sneezing-coughing-eyes-swelled-nearly-shut Gabe comes into my room.

"My eye is itchy, Mommmmmy" is what I woke up to, the incredible sight of his poor little face is what caused me to jump out of bed and run for the medicine cabinet.

I simultaneously gave him a dose of Benadryl, stripped off his clothes, washed his hands and face, and threw the blanket into the wash.

That soft blanket of Sissy's, which used to be Autumn's blanket, which Gabe was cuddled up in for a whole hour.

Guess that confirms the fact that Gabe is like his grandpa in yet one more aspect: cat allergies.

(I tried to get a photo of Gabe's eyes, but he said the flash would hurt; I think he was just embarassed, and knew it would end up on my blog...)

All is well, now. Two doses of Benadryl and a thorough house cleaning later, and Gabe is doing fine. Sorry, Autumn, your days of being an indoor kitty are officially over.

7 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Poor Gabe! It breaks my heart that some of Madalyn's best friends can't come over to play because of our kitties. But...they are not allowed in our basement...so there is sort of a safe place for them to be.

Jen said...

Ah Benedryl. the wonder drug. Glad it helped.

Suzann said...

poor gabe - i appreciate his allergies.

HiHoOhio said...

you know, when you guys were here for Super Bowl, he got sneezes, remember! Darn! Sorry Autumn and Isabel. And Gabe of course.

CaraBee said...

I am crazy allergic to cats. It sucks. I spent a miserable childhood with red, puffy eyes and sneezing my head off. I feel Gabe's pain.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Poor Gabe....I hate it when kids have allergies to pets.

Hope Isabel is ok with Autumn being outdoors...well, I guess she has no choice!

The Wife O Riley said...

Poor Gabe! But even Superman is allergic to kryptonite.

Autumn looks just like our cat Isis.