We have a few. Every year Kay and I start making Christmas cards (in October), with Isabel and now Gabe helping. This year Becky and I made hers together, which was a lot of fun (there were two bottles of wine involved in that particular "tradition"...yum).
We also use this special "Santa" plate to leave the jolly old elf his Christmas eve goodies. Isabel likes to write him a note...

One of the kids' favorite traditions is having a little 2 foot Christmas tree in each of their bedrooms. They decorate it themselves, and on Christmas Eve, Santa leaves them a tiny gift right in their own rooms! They love it!
So, I wanna know...what are your favorite traditions, that you do with your kids or that you did as a kid yourself? Sometimes a new tradition can be a great idea, too, so let's share!
17 comments:
Here are some of ours...although we do some of the same traditions as you.
We always go sledding the saturday before Christmas and we make it an all day thing. We have our spot and we go there without fail.
We take around neighbor gifts and sing christmas carols as we deliver them.
We always clean out the toy closet and the kids give away things that they do not play with and take it to a charity drop off. We also donate food to our local food bank so the kids learn that there are many not as fortunate as we.
On one of our family nights we all go out shopping together. The kids, from their allowance buy a gift for each member of our family so they get to enjoy someone opening a gift from them. They love this as they get to pick the present, wrap it and present it to the reciever.
Lastly, we always read the Christmas story from the scriptures and place before our nativity, fankienscence, muir, and gold chocolate coins for the Christ child. This also helps them remember that they will also recieve only three presents from us as we are not better then the Christ child.
I know that there are more but this is getting long.... In the end anything with family and the real meaning of Christmas is the best tradition.♥
A tradition that started with me, my mum and my grandmother and that has now been carried to My husband and I and his family, is making Mango Daiquiri's just after breakfast for drinking while we open the presents. Mangos in Australia are delicious at that time of the year and it really just sets the tone for the rest of they day!
I am sure we will come up with some Non-Alcohol related ones when we have kids, but we love it.
The one I love the best we started several years ago, we stay home with our kids on Christmas Day. We do all of our family visiting on days around Christmas and stay home. It was great when the kids were little and I still love it. Just the four of us in pj's all day.
John & I and the girls go to Waffle House on Christmas Eve....usually at midnight!! We order lots of food and hot chocolate. We tip the waitress extra since she is working on Christmas. Then we go home and each of us opens a present!
This will be the 21st year we have done this!!! The girls would get so excited when they were little 'cause they stayed up late on Christmas Eve!
It's even more fun now that they are adults!
We leave our cookies on a specail plate, the kids keave a note to Santa...and expect one in return from him. We go to Midnite mass adn read Twas the night before christmas before bed...and in the morning no one can come out of their rooms until Mom comes to get them!
I have that plate too. But, I seem to be addicted to Santa Cookie plates.
There used to be loads of traditions, not so much anymore. Things happen when families grow too big I guess, things have to change. But, some things remain the same.
I have a couple that are just for MY family.
I get each person an ornament each year that is relevant to them for that particular year. For example, when Harry Potter first came out and my eldest devoured the books I got him a Harry Potter ornament. My little guy has only 2 kinds of ornaments - Thomas the Tank Engine and Star Wars (LOL) - guess he needs to like something else; he's gonna be 8. Most of my daughter's are ballerina's.
I also have this gigantic book called The Real Christmas Story and I read it ever year on Christmas Eve.
we make this chocolate candy for all the neighbors and friends. It gets into quite a big production. Some years we have mailed out many packages of it to people, some years, we made batches for every single person on our street, and one year we made a container for each employee at both stores attached with a bow and christmas ornament (yea..what was I thinking!!!)
Something about the hustle and bustle of it and the wax paper layed outon every surface everwhere gets the kids all excited:)
Each year, on Christmas Eve, we get together with my mama and we ride around looking at all the Christmas light displays. Because we live much further away this year, I hope that we can still do this.
Ooooooh...fun...
OK...traditions. We have the "Elf on the Shelf" that pops up in a new place every morning. Last year I ran out of hiding places, so this year he's not coming out 'til next week.
We make a white pizza every Christmas Eve...Scott & I did that our first year we were married and we've continued to do it since. Then after the pizza we read from Luke 2 and open gifts under the tree--just our family of 4. Good times...precious memories. Oh, and the girls get pajamas every Christmas Eve--but this year they're getting robes. That Scott picked out--all by himself. Amazing, huh????
I love traditions. Gabe and Caroline might come up with some good ones.
I said that.
What a cute plate! We used to wrap the doorway of the family room like a big present that the kids had to bust through. We took their picture in front of it every year. Now we live in a new house and the doorway to the family room is huge - wall size! I'm not sure how we're going to handle this.
A few days before Christmas we bake cookies for our elderly neighbors and the kids deliver them.
The week before Christmas, we go out to eat(not fast food) and the start donwtown and work our way back home looking at Chritsmas lights!!
The weekend before Christmas, me and the kids go over to my BFF's house to decorate cookies with her and whichever of her kids show up. They are all around 10 yrs older then my kids but if they're not working, they are there!
On Christmas eve, my BFF and her family always come over and we eat and eat, party food, and then open presents from each other. What the kids don't know is during this time, big Daddy is transfering all of our kids present from her car to my van to be put under the tree later. I have all the gifts hidden at her house!
That's just a few I really love!!
What a neat tradition! Santa is so sneaky!!!
Our tradition is opening up one present on Christmas Eve and it is always new Christmas pajamas... that way we have nice, new pjs on in all of the Christmas morning pictures. I love this tradition. It is something my husband and I now do and I'm passing on his family, too.
My Family gets together on Christmas Eve every year. We make lots of appetizers to eat, like the little weenies, meatballs, cheese dip, and other various snacky foods as well as desserts. We all sit together in the living room, eating and we play our version of Win, Lose or Draw. We all have to come up with things to draw, we put them in a bowl. We have so much fun trying to guess what the other person is drawing. Whoever guesses it, wins a lottery ticket and goes next, and so on. After the game is over, we open presents. And, I have to say, I usually win a lot of lottery tickets! :)
BTW: When I saw the letter X, I thought I was going to have to hurt ya for a sec! But, quickly read the rest! Lucky for you! hahaha I'll be working on that over the next couple of days!
I love family traditions. I will be posting some more of ours next week.
I love your plate! We are going to Polka Dot pottery tonight to make our ornaments ... maybe I need to make a new plate??
those are some awesome traditions. We have started leaving cookies out for Santa and it is so much fun to see Hayden's face when they are gone the next day.
We love to go driving to see everyone's lights. And my kids love to open their advent calendar pockets. But the calendars are still in the attic with all the Christmas stuff. Maybe I'll be brave and get it down this weekend.
We use a special plate for cookies and mug for milk to leave for Santa.
One night we'll go drive around looking at lights.
I bought an advent calendar at Hallmark a few years ago... its a Christmas tree and each day you put a magnetic ornament on... my girls love doing that.
As far back as I can remember, my family opened gifts on Christmas Eve... well, it was technically Christmas. We'd go to church, usually around 6:30 or 7:00... then come home and open our stockings. Then it was back to church at 11 for the candlelight service. By the time we got home, it would be after midnight, so one year I guess my parents just decided we'd stay up and open gifts. And that's what we continued to do. Now, we spend Christmas Eve at my mom's... the four of us open gifts on Christmas morning... then we spend Christmas Day with Shane's family.
Post a Comment