Friday, December 12, 2008

Son of a sailor

Aww, ain't he cute?

That wavy brown hair. Those big brown eyes. That adorable smile. Gorgeous olive complexion. Big Papaw's ears.

Sucks you right in, doesn't it?


Don't be fooled. Behind that heartbreaking face lies the mouth of a sailor.


Okay, maybe not a sailor who's been at sea for years and years. Maybe more like the preschool son of said sailor, who knows he can't say the really bad words, but tries to make it work anyway.


With words like turd. Poop. Butt. Poopyhead.


Sometimes the words come with a whispered warning:
"Mom, I'm gonna say a bad word."
What word is that, Gabe?
"I'm gonna say...stupid."
Gabe, it still counts as a bad word, even if you tell me about it ahead of time.


Sigh...


He was in rare form today. Talking about wanting to "kiss your butt" at a restaurant. Saying "God is great...turd" during prayer. Crying and saying "But I was sorry" when I called him out on the potty mouth.


What's a mom to do? I have several weapons in my arsenal. The first, ignoring the talk. Used to work quite well, now, not so much. The second, a timeout. Third, a smack on the mouth. Fourth, early bedtime (the punishment of choice for tonight). Next, sassy sauce (vinegar) or soap in the mouth.


Oh, the potty talk of a four-year-old boy. Sometimes I have to turn my head and giggle, 'cause it can be really funny. But it's not funny at preschool, or at church, or in the middle of a restaurant. And if he sees me laugh once, that's all she wrote, man. I'm done for.

27 comments:

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Out of the mouths of babes!

At least he can hear Jesus in your heart!

It will end one day ...or maybe not...

Michelle said...

He is probably picking it up a preschool. Those boys are running around at play time saying, poop, turd, butthead, poopyface and laughing thinking they are the big shit and really they are only the little turds. It will pass, don't worry. I think it is funny, of course I do. Little stinker butt. Don't tell him I said that.hehe

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I'm giggling over here. It is hard not to laugh when they do that! Love it!! Sassy Sauce huh...I'll remember that one for when we have grand-babies!

Thanks for letting me know about my blog....that cough syrup and Allerx did a number on me!

angi_b72 said...

You are rifht, it si so hard not to laugh At them!! I am sure it will pass shorlty!

Melissa said...

You know that I have not only taken this class, but I've been on the field trip. Know what I'm sayin'.
We do crushed red pepper or hot sauce. It sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. Emily actually told me she likes the taste of soap. The little turd. Alright, she comes by this language easy enough.
Michael once came home from school in tears because he got in trouble to saying the "sh" word at school. I come to find out that the "sh" word is shut up. Send chills right down the spine when said with venom.
I love the fact that Gabe warned you ahead of time that he was going to say a bad word. How thoughtful.
Sometimes I think the bigger deal we make about it, the more they want to say it. Just try saying, "Gabe, those words make Jesus and mommy sad. They are used to hurt people. Do you want to hurt people?"
If he says yes (like my Emmy probably would), call me and we'll brainstorm together on intervention:)

Lula! said...

Oh, we gotta nip this in the bud before he poisons my sweet Caroline.

Hahahahaha...yeah, right. That's hilarious. She'll probably be teaching him some things in a few years.

p.s. Remind me to tell you about the time Libbey said a bad word...in Lifeway Christian Bookstore. I was all, "Libbey, honey--if you're gonna cuss, do it in Target or Old Navy, not at Lifeway--we have a rep to protect." Good times.

Heather said...

OH, girlfriend YES!! I have a pair of precious little GIRLS who spout out potty words all. day. long. Our rule is that if you must use potty talk, then go say it in the bathroom. I'm not kidding when I tell you that they'll run in there a couple of thousand times a day just to spout out a slew of bathroom words. I will hear them in there saying "...diarrhea, poopy butt, tee tee..."

What IS that??

Suzann said...

Well, he's a boy and for some insane reason boys love bathroom talk. My 18 year old still gets a kick out of it.
Yesterday my little guy came up to me and said, "mom spell I cup" my 18 year old burst into hysteria and said "no dude, you gotta say...SAY I and spell cup". Of course, you say, "I-see-you-pee""

Now, I've heard this "ha-ha" before, from my 18 year old, so not so big news to me, but they hysterics from my two boys really got me laughing too. (yup, I'm a baaaaad mama).

Of course, my little guy proceeded to tell me that Michael at school told him that joke and he got put on the red light because of it and if he says it one more time he's going to the principal.

Moral? The kid new it was not a good ha-ha, but felt safe enough to say it to his mama, but never ever tell it to the teacher OR the principal.

Eventually they stop saying it for the shock factor and just start saying it merely to discuss their bodily functions. LOL.

Sorry, boys are silly and so am I.

HiHoOhio said...

It was hard not to laugh! He is too cute to get mad at....and don't say KILZ...it is bad!

Ashley said...

Awww! Poor thing! I bet that 'sassy sauce' would really get him... yuck!!

Cammie said...

ohhhh, he must be BFF with my 5 year old....he picks up all sorts of fabulousness at daycare....he actually referred to his...ahem...boy parts as his nuts the other day and I thought I was going to crap my pants right there.
he is also fun of anything with the words poopy or stinky in it.
good times.

Heathersmom said...

Thank goodness your dad is gone. No telling what Gabe would be hearing then. Of course he would be careful around the grandchildren. I do miss him so much, potty mouth and all. (Gabe is just a normal little boy who takes after his Big PaPa. Love, Mom

Becky said...

I bet if God was a turd He would be the greatest at it?

Awww...he is so darn cute (and funny) you can't help but defend him.

All kids go through this phase to some degree. Gotta let it slide some huh? Or are you gonna be a big poopy butt about this? (sorry) I mean you are right! But he is so darn cute!

Jen said...

Ok I am sorry that you are going through this and I wish that I had some magical advice for you but I don't. I would do the same things that you are doing.
But at least from my point, I do get to giggle at it.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

That is always the fear, what is gonna just come out of the mouth and when. I hope that he outgrows it. I guess you could do the old if mommy says it then it is okay but then again, no that is bad advice as I think about it, cuase all that my kids say did come from me...... You read my post do not come to me for parenting advice, I have none!!!

Michelle said...

Ahhhh, hahahahahahaha. I love what Becky said. lololololololololololololol

Michelle said...

I could teach him a few "new" words. JK lololololololololol

Michelle said...

I am really f***ing tired, can you tell?

Michelle said...

Ok,(LMAO at myself now) I will stop. I promise.

The Wife O Riley said...

Sorry I haven't been by in a while, I'm just getting back into the swing of things after the flu.

Vivi (my 4 year old) likes to call people birdface. We try to stop it but it's so funny!

The Wife O Riley said...

Sorry I haven't been by in a while, I'm just getting back into the swing of things after the flu.

Vivi (my 4 year old) likes to call people birdface. We try to stop it but it's so funny!

MarciaBrady said...

Ah...the joys of Motherhood! I had to laugh as I read this though! It is hard not to laugh sometimes. I don't know why children, especially boys think it's funny to say those words...but, I'm sure it's gone on since the beginning of time...or at least since Adam and Eve partook of the apple from the forbidden tree!

Anyway...hope you got some peace and quiet with the early bedtime!

My sister just told me the other day that it was freakin' illegal to wash a child's mouth out with soap now!! I was like, "WHAT!" Honestly, can we even still discipline children anymore? I don't know...I don't see anything wrong with it!

Cammie said...

Heather....you are my new BFF....that is the BEST idea ever....let's go find a creepy little cabin in the snow....

Shannon said...

Oh, man... why do kids think potty talk is the Funniest. Thing. Ever?

Kids are weird.


But they can be so darn cute.

Tiffany said...

Kids can be so challenging sometimes! That's kind of funny that he warns you he's about to say a bad word. At least he knows what his temptation is!

MaricrisG said...

I have a 4 year old that does the same thing! And yeah, there's that if-I-whisper-mom-or dad-can't-hear-it-I'm-fine! :)

Heather said...

I'll have to remember yhe sassy sauce. I have a feeling our middle is going to be needing it VERY soon!