We play cards often, especially this time of year.
Nerts, solitaire, euchre, rummy, spades, pass the ace, Texas hold'em...anything to help make the grey winter days pass more quickly.
Most of the time, we play with Joe's parents, either at their house or ours.

Lady Luck has a lot to do with playing cards. Sometimes she's with you, sometimes she's not.
But she had nothing to do with the people who happen to be the grandparents of my babies. I often say how "lucky" I am to have them in my life, but I don't really believe that. I know that God put Kay and Bob in my life for a reason, a blessing to me and Joe and our kids. Elijah, Isabel and Gabe are the light of their lives as much as they are to us; they love them unconditionally, and always want to share in their achievements as well as comfort their hurts. I know my kids don't yet understand how blessed they are, but someday, I hope they do. They are loved. They are treasured. And they are learning how to play a mean game of thirty-one :)
"You don't choose your family;
they are God's gift to you,
as you are to them."
-Desmond Tutu
9 comments:
awww... what a sweet tribute to your family. :)
How sweet and how blessed! Im sure they feel the same about you!
I think it's wonderful that you are so blessed.
I was not blessed with parents or in-laws or any family for that matter. What does that say about me.?
you truly are blessed. What a sweet post.
Wonderful in-laws are such a blessing! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to play card games beyond 52 Pick-Up!
games are such a fun way to bring families together... my mom was such a game player - that's probably one of the most wonderful memories I have of her growing up - she'd keep me home from school for "game days" sometimes! Seriously! :)
I also have in-laws who are just the best. I am so thankful to have married into such a wonderful family. Now my husband, on the other hand, married into a family of nutjobs. Good thing they live so far away. :)
Love and miss playing cards in the winter. Phase 10 and Dirty Neighbor were our favorites. Dominoes was always fun, too. We just don't do that where I live now.
The kids and I just played a rousing game of Where the Wild Things Are Uno before bed tonight. N. is still too young, so she just wants to keep the cards she thinks are the prettiest (wilds), and that's fine by me!
How fortunate you are to have great in-laws. I have some pretty good ones too, and I realize more and more how rare seems to be.
Post a Comment