Friday, January 8, 2010

Different perspectives

Amazing the difference a (few) years makes.

When I was a kid, I lived and prayed for snow days.

As an adult, I like the occasional snow day, especially in December when I'm in the Christmas spirit and the snow makes everything prettier.



It's kinda like this...

Kid Heather: Yay, we have a snow day again today! A four-day weekend for us! Woo-hoo!

Mom Heather: Um, four days in a row with a houseful of husband and kids? Really? wow, that's great...

Kid Heather: But we can go out and go sledding and make a snowman and have a snowball fight!

Mom Heather: I can't be outside for five minutes without my hands going numb and white (damn Raynaud's disease). I'd love to sled, but I won't last out there. Snowball fights? I give it two minutes before a kid comes in crying from a snowball to the face.

Kid Heather: I love when we come in all cold and frozen and drink hot cocoa 'til we thaw out.

Mom Heather: I hate the piles of wet snowsuits and socks and boots and hats and gloves on my floor. It takes ten minutes to get the kids bundled up, ten more minutes to get those clothes back off, and two hours to wash all the darn stuff. Snow days are too much work.

Kid Heather: But it looks so pretty outside!

Mom Heather: I agree, it does look pretty. Until you have to drive thirty miles to work in the stuff, 'cause nurses don't EVER get a snow day. And then you end up getting stuck there for a double shift when your relief can't make it in. Been there, done that, many a time. Not fun.

Kid Heather: Well, I'm glad we got two snow days this week. So there.

Mom Heather: I'm fine with it. I just hope these are the last snow days of the winter.

Clearly, I am a woman on the edge. My two days of having the house to myself so I can get some things done are just a figment of my imagination. I need an hour long shower and a tall glass of wine.

How are you surviving the snow? Do you still like snowdays? Am I just a grump?

11 comments:

Suzann said...

LOL. You kill me.
Snow Days...
Didn't like them as a kid, like them now only cuz I don't have drive then. But, then the kids are bored and whiney and then when it's 100 in the shade, they are at school and I'm over it.
We don't get too many snow days here in Chicago though. Somehow we all make it to school.

CaraBee said...

I'm not to the point yet where snow days mean anything. And my husband's work has yet to be canceled because of weather, so I don't even get more of him. For now the snow still makes me happy, all pretty and white. I imagine the day will come when I don't feel quite so ambivalent about them.

Rebecca Jo said...

With no kiddos in the house, snow days are just a day full of traffic & headaches for me :) Oh yeah, & WET FLOORS from doggie feet!

Brandy said...

Snow days don't bother me b/c the teen occupies himself but I HATE driving in it.

If I could stay at home (and not feel guilty, cause I can/have stayed but then I feel bad for getting paid) it wouldn't be a big deal.

Shannon said...

If you're a grump, then I am one right along with you.

Snow is pretty to look at, yes. But then it needs to go away.

Hope you enjoyed the wine ;)

JennyMac said...

We live in the south and a mere concern of snow and not actual snow is enough to close all of the schools. Friday was a snow day here and we actually had a blast. Primarily because our son is 2, and still takes BIG naps. :)

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Well of course I miss those days (cause the kids are moved out) but I do remember hating them!! The laundry was never ending. I think they went through ever pair of socks the had.

Just think though.....memories!!!

ChicagoLady said...

I think Kid Heather needs to come out more often, she's definitely more fun! LOL

Now that I'm an adult, I don't get "snow days". I have to go to work no matter what the weather, no matter how long it takes me. I wish I could use snow as an excuse to not go to work. I don't even remember the last time I made a snow angel.

Angela said...

LOL! You're not a grump. I have much the same emotional path, just without the kids. We had snow here Thursday evening, which made driving into work a real adventure Friday. I knew I had to go in, but was fighting it with every bone in my body rebelling against the idea that I do not get a snow day. And it would have made such a lovely long weekend, too! GAH! How come we have to grow up, LOL? So I went in. But the snow has lasted all weekend, so it's been nice to look at and enjoy the last couple days. I just hope the rest of it melts off the driveway before tomorrow. That's been the only lingering driving issue, because our driveway does not face the sun in the winter.

Angela said...

PS I totally agree on the wine and shower. After getting home Friday the first thing I did was open some champagne and take a bubble bath!

Ashley said...

Love the inner dialogue. Haha!