Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Great Outdoors

Trying to live my word ("frugality", remember?) while planning a vacation for a family of five is a difficult thing to do.

Airfare is outrageous, a beach is at least a twelve-hour drive away, and visiting a big city is just too darn expensive.

What's the alternative, you may ask.

How about teaching our kids about the great outdoors? You know, like a camping trip? I know some of you would rather cut off your left arm than spend the night in a sleeping bag under the stars, but I think we could make some great memories together, not to mention teach them a few survival skills along the way.

I'm not talking about roughing it with just a tent and two sticks, killing our own food and using leaves to wipe our, well, you know.

I am talking about visiting some of the state parks and other natural sites in our area, pitching a tent and sitting by the campfire, toasting marshmallows and telling scary stories. Getting up early the next morning and going hiking, seeing how many wild animals we can track and maybe get a glimpse of. Pretend like we're the Ingalls family (Isabel will love that!) and look for our new home on the banks of Plum Creek.

We have decided to make 2011 The Year of the Cruise for our family, with Joe's mom and dad coming along, too. Which means that 2010 is going to be The Year of the Tent, and we're good with that.

I know I'll have some great stories, if nothing else. No camping trip ever goes off without a hitch, it seems.

What about you? Do you like to camp? To cruise? Wanna make 2011 the year of the cruise along with us?

15 comments:

Shelley said...

Heather, we absolutely LOVE to camp. Most three day weekends find us at a state park. (Cause they are cheaper) and more beautiful than some of the privately owned campgrounds. Spring break is spent camping in several different locations hoping for the perfect photo op with nature. Hope you guys have great times when you camp too.

brainella said...

We used to go camping all the time in college. I don't like camping much anymore...it's the bugs. I hate mosquitos. I'm a big baby. :)

Rebecca Jo said...

I love the outdoors but cant see myself "camping"... my aunt had a house at the lake that had like 3 bathrooms, satellite TV, 5 bedrooms, a HUGE kitchen... I loved that kind of "roughing" it! :) Like your plan though!

I wanna cruise but Ricky says he refuses to pay money for me to be barfing over the side the whole time... probably true!

I love the the Ingalls stories are timeless & little girls still love them!

BBB said...

I ADORE camping. As long as I have a decent sleeping mattress, I'm good to go. I love smelling like a campfire. I love seeing the stars at night. I love the whispering that goes on in the tents as people are drifting off to sleep. I love how food tastes better and how a family comes together over a card game.

Oh yeah... LOVE me some camping.

Love me some cruising.

Maybe Mr. B and I will have to look into that 2011 thing :)

Shelley said...

Heather,
We always take lots of dvds in the truck for entertainment for the car ride to wherever we are going. And Benadryl too. (Teehee). Card games, board games, etc. in case the weather turns bad. And bicycles so even when we are not out on a trail, the kids can ride around the camping loop and keep themselves busy. That leaves time for mom and dad to hang out at the fire pit (in the right weather) and enjoy each other a little.

CaraBee said...

We did some camping when I was a kid, always loved it, and we have an annual canoe/camping trip that we take with a bunch of friends in the boonies of western Virginia. I'm not really a roughing it kind of girl, but I can appreciate it's appeal.

Now if I had a view like that to look out on, that would make a huge difference. Of course, views like that come with bears. And bears? I can do without.

Suzann said...

Well, I don't ever want to go on a cruise. So, no for that. But camping??? YUP! In fact, we had earned points through a company we purchase from and I'm spending our points on a tent so we can go camping. We've never been camping as a family, so I'm kinda excited.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Shannon gave me one of those great Anne Taintor key chains that says "I love not camping." I wish I liked camping. But cruising...we LOVE to do that. Where are you thinking of cruising to? From what port? Which line? :-)

HiHoOhio said...

I hate to camp.....it is a hotel with no room service to me......but the CRUISE, now that I love...ALaska was the best, southern carribean second best.....GO FOR IT!

mama's smitten said...

I havent been real camping in years! I did go on a mother daughter campout ( At a grassy area in an amusement park) for girl scouts where I had to put my own tent!

Brandy said...

My idea of "camping" involves a restroom, a/c and cable! So I don't think the tent would work for me.

But I LURVE cruising!! In fact we just booked a cruise in June to celebrate Stephen's graduation. I think this will be our 7th??

I'm making a big push for our next EE to be ocean bound. :)

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I am NOT a camper....thankfully either is my husband. I love hiking and the outdoors....but sleeping in a tent....NO WAY!! We get a hotel.

Now the only cruise on went on was the girlfriend one and I am ALL ABOUT cruisin!!!!

Lula! said...

The only camping I do is onboard a cruise ship.

But I applaud you. You'll make HUGE memories with the kids and they'll remember all these special times. Plus--scrapbooking opportunities!!!

Meanwhile, I'm grateful for my in-laws, who take my girls camping (in their camper) very other week in the summer. Yay for them.

p.s. You know I love me a cruise. We EE gals should cruise together. We'd get kicked off the boat. GOOD TIMES!!!!!! :)

Michelle said...

Yeah, you have fun with both of those. :)

Shannon said...

I have never camped out a day in my life.

And after 33 years of NOT camping, I don't think I'll start now.

I am just not one with nature.

Now a cruise, I'm all for it. Have never been on one and would LOVE to. Um, and how awesome would an EE cruise be?!