Sunday, January 10, 2010

How to make a friend, by Gabe

As most of you know, Gabe is my outgoing not-a-shy-bone-in-his-body kid. Elijah and Isabel are friendly, but Gabe takes it to a whole new level. Any place we go, be it Kroger or the YMCA or even the hospital for a work party, he manages to make a new friend.

How does he do it, you may ask...

Here's an example:

Yesterday, at Elijah's first Upward basketball game, Gabe spotted a boy about his age playing a Nintendo DS just like his.

He looks at me and says, Mom, see that boy over there. I'm gonna go and make him my friend. I bet he likes Kirby and Lego Star Wars just like me!

And off he went. Within two minutes, the two of them were sitting side by side, discussing their games and ages and likes/dislikes. Now, if Gabe had his way, we would have invited the boy over for a playdate and maybe even a sleepover, without even knowing his name. I have to teach him to hold back a little, as some people are a little overwhelmed by his friendliness.

I, on the other hand, love it!

How bout you? Wanna come over for a playdate? I'm sure Gabe will even share his beloved black olives :)

11 comments:

Angela said...

What a sweetie! The world needs more people like Gabe! I hope he never loses that love for others. He will be such a blessing to others as he goes through life!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love it. My girls are very outgoing...but not as much as Gabe! I think they were closer to that when they were younger. But now they are a little more reticent.

And I'd love to come over for a playdate. Sans olives. If I could only get my car up the driveway.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I think thats a good thing!

Meg was like that...Tori was the total opposite.

I'll come over for a play date...but black olives are out...they are yucky to me!

brainella said...

Dominic would play Lego Star Wars in a heartbeat. Gabe would be his best friend in no time flat. :)

CaraBee said...

Wouldn't it be great if it were always that easy?

BBB said...

Um... I'm going to go straight to the olive fingers.

I did that at a VERY fancy dinner my grandmother was giving one time. I was probably 4. Covertly put all the olives on my fingers, the raised my hands up and made this gurgling monster sound.

Grandmother was not amused.

I was dismissed to finish at the kitchen table.

I love Gabe.

Rebecca Jo said...

"I want to make him my friend"... how sweet is that???!?!?!

That kinda of personality is going to take him far in life!!!

mama's smitten said...

What a sweet little guy!

Anonymous said...

I asked Gabe what his new friend's name was, and he told me "Wilson". That wasn't even close! The kid is a keeper!!!

Suzann said...

That's awesome!!!
I wish I was that confident and bold and friendly.
And I would LOVE to come over for a playdate and a sleepover. : )

Katy said...

You tell Gabe if i lived closer i'd come over for a playdate!! He sounds like such a wonderful little boy - you are very lucky!

Maybe ill have one just like yours! That would be a blessing indeed!