Friday, November 5, 2010

Warning: Vacation Post Ahead

On a bitter cold and snowy day last winter, Joe and I found a great deal on a Bahamas cruise and started to dream.  Joe's parents decided to book a room alongside of ours, and our 2010 family vacation was born.

Unfortunately, Joe's dad fell ill and couldn't come, but he insisted that Kay still go with us.

Last Friday (my birthday), we loaded into our van and drove 9 1/2 hours to Charleston, South Carolina.  After a few hours of sleep in a crowded hotel room, we drove to the pier and played around until it was time to board the ship.





The kids had never cruised before, and there were so many things they looked forward to.  Water slides (which Gabe and I were on within the first hour of boarding!)...




Getting manicures before we left...

All you can eat self-serve soft-serve ice cream (Gabe had at least 50 cones, no exaggeration)...


 Celebrating Halloween on a ship!


Traveling outside of the U.S. for the first time (for the kids)...

Freeport, Bahamas
 Getting matching tans :)


Making memories with Mamaw Kay...


Shopping for shark-tooth necklaces, t-shirts, and other assorted souvenirs...



Getting all spruced-up for delicious dinners served by friendly waiters who knew our names by the second night...





Trying new foods and getting to eat hundreds of shrimp all week long!


Spending time alone, with just mom or dad, or with the whole family, depending on the mood (and boy, do 12-year-old boys have moods!)...


 Taking a taxi ride over to Paradise Island in Nassau...


Going inside the Atlantis resort...



One of my favorite pics of the whole trip!
Proving to the kids that water this blue and clear really does exist...



Finally relaxing after a horribly stressful week...


Posing for multiple pictures in various areas of the ship...



Acting goofy in our stateroom, monkeys and all...


 and admiring the gorgeous fall foliage on our way home through the Carolinas and Tennessee.


Between school and work and sick parents, this vacation was exactly what we needed to stay on track as a happy family.  And once I dig my way out of this pile of laundry threatening to suffocate me, I'll be good as new :)

10 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

How FUN!!!

It looks like everyone had a marvelous time. You, by the way, look smokin' HOT!!! Your body is rockin' girl!!!

Hope your father-in-law is doing better.

Have fun doing all that laundry!

Suzann said...

Looks like an amazing time was had and forever memories were made!!! You are blessed my friend.

Rebecca Jo said...

A much deserved vacation for you all!!!! Looks like it was amazing! (I'm a tad jealous) :)

Hope coming back to the cold didnt shock your system TOO much! :)

(And can I also add I'm MORE then a tad jealous of that bikini body)

stephanie said...

welcome home!!! i missed you.

looks like you guys had an awesome time. great pictures. :)

Jen said...

That is so awesome. I am so happy that you all got a change to go away and spend sometime together.

mep said...

Hot Mama! With the surprise Florida trip and this trip all in one year, I am wanting you guys to adopt me! I loved seeing all of these pictures and hearing about your trip.

CaraBee said...

What a great trip! And check out the hot mama in the bikini!

We're planning a cruise out of Baltimore to the Bahamas next July. It's Neil's parent's 50th and their taking the whole famdamily on a cruise. I'm super excited. And now I really and truly have a deadline to get my arse into shape. I would like to take a hot bikini shot, too! :)

Brandy said...

You are rocking that bikini girl! Oh how I love cruising...it's the best of so many vacation worlds but my favorite part is that I'm not in a car all day, everyday. The captain is taking care of the wheel while I read, eat, or play games. Love that!

E... said...

How did I get so far behind in my commenting??
I love these photos, and am so jealous of this trip. I could so do with some sun and sand again. I fear it's going to be a long dark winter.
You all look so happy -- I'm glad you had this respite from a VERY rough time right before.

Shannon said...

FUN!

I've never been on a cruise... neither has Shane. We've been talking about going in February, just the 2 of us. We'll see.