Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hoarder in training


Though not quite this bad, Gabe's room has lately taken on the look of the show, "Hoarders".  The boy saves everything, from wrappers to boxes to bags, old pictures and scraps of "important" papers to broken toys with missing parts.  I love that he is sentimental about his belongings, but I've got to teach him to where to draw the line.

Yesterday, I decided the day had come.  I did most of the purging while he was at a friend's house, and saved the very special things in a storage container in his closet.  Now I just have to keep him away from the trash can until the garbage man hauls it all away!

Any packrats or potential Hoarder stars in your household?

6 comments:

Suzann said...

Yikes! You scared me with that picture. For a second I thought that really was Gabe's bedroom. Thank Goodness!!! I hate "stuff" but it does seem to creep into the house, doesn't it!? I'm due for a major purge myself. But my schedule just doesn't give me much time to do that right now. Christmas is coming - Gabe will have new goodies to enjoy!!

Rebecca Jo said...

HAHA... I'm like Suzann - I too thought that was Gabe's room!!! My jaw dropped! then I had a great laugh!

Oh my -my husband is SUCH a potential hoarder... actually he is - he has our storage rooms in our basement so full of NOTHING - but you cant even walk in... I dont get it... I used to want to keep everything until I learned you had to CLEAN it - then I learned to get rid of it!

brainella said...

I try desperately to encourage the disposal of all things unnecessary. :) I'm constantly weeding toys and books and clothes in the hope that we won't be consumed by Dominic's bedroom one day...

Shelley said...

I almost freaked out for a minute. I thought your precious boys' room was actually pictured. YIKES!!!
My dear husband is the hoarder here. But for the most part, he keeps it contained to his closet.

mep said...

My Bub is a total hoarder/trashpicker. I have those tendencies myself so it shakes me up to see the hoarding gene emerging in a new generation. I'm trying hard to break the cycle for all of us!

Shannon said...

M is a total pack rat. She must get that from my sister, who also can't bear to throw anything away. I have to do the sneaky purging thing, too... every few months I'll go into her room and clean it out while she's at school. Of course she never misses the stuff I manage to get out of her room!