Friday, November 19, 2010

Frito Friday

Last week, Mep from Not to Brag shared a link to a recipe that I had my doubts about.

It was called "Frito Candy".

Among the ingredients were Fritos (obviously), a stick of butter, and chocolate.

Intrigued yet?

I wasn't sure, but Mep and I discussed it and decided to both give it a try, then post about our results together; she in Chicagoland, me in Ohio.

Here's my opinion.

Of course, I forgot to take pictures as I went along, b/c I was working on three hours of sleep after a night shift and getting ready for my card-a-thon (see previous post).  I'll catch you up though.


Get a 9x13 pan, and line with parchment paper or quick-release aluminum foil.  I had neither, so I used wax paper which I sprayed with my kitchen buddy, Pam.

Crunch up 1 cup of Fritos and 2 cups of pretzels, and spread on bottom of pan.

Cut up enough Reeces cups to scatter on top of the "crust" (I used two full size bars, cut up in little pieces).

Set aside.  Melt 1 stick butter in a heavy-bottomed pan, then add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, bringing to a boil and boiling for 1 minute.  Pour on top of Frito crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

As soon as you pull the pan from the oven, cover with 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli, a splurge well worth the cost).  I put the pan back in the oven for 2 minutes, then pulled it and spread the chocolate chips into a top layer.

Let cool for about 15 minutes or so, then chill in refrigerator for a while (two hours worked just fine).

Pull the parchment paper/whatever you used for the bottom support out of the pan and break up candy into bite size pieces, like you would pretzel bark or toffee.  Watch it disappear, followed by lots of "what is this?" and "can I have the recipe?" and "oh my word, this is awesome".


Serve for a Christmas treat or a gift for Santa...as long as he doesn't have any peanut allergies :)


Wonder what else you can do with a Frito?  Frito Friday has the potential to last for awhile, don't you think?

8 comments:

mep said...

Glad your Frito Candy was a success and that it was a welcome guest at your card-a-thon!

I think we should definitely more recipe posts, especially in the holiday entertaining season. The more bloggers who join in, the merrier!

Let's do them on Fridays, even if the recipes don't include Fritos (though we could be clever and try to include them -- as chili topper, vessel for dip, etc.)

You pick the next recipe!

Suzann said...

Yikes. I don't think I could eat that. LOL

Rebecca Jo said...

I cant even IMAGINE that that would taste good....

So I'm going to have to try it & taste it myself because the finished product looks yummy... but I'd probably think dog poop with CHOCOLATE on it looks yummy - haha!!

BBB said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate and salt together. MMMMMMMMMMMM That sounds wonderful!!!

E... said...

We're going to have to skip this particular recipe due to the peanut allergies at our house, but I'm in for future experiments in food!!
I think the SSFC looks pretty darn yummy!

brainella said...

Wow. Sounds amazing -- the salt in the Fritos and pretzels would be fantastic. Too bad Dominic is allergic to peanuts. Damned allergies!

CaraBee said...

I'm intrigued! I love Fritos. Love chocolate. I'll give this a try. Heck, maybe for a cookie exchange I'm going to in a couple of weeks.

Shannon said...

Huh. Never would've thought to put all that together. But I do love to eat pretzels with Reece's cups. I agree that salty and chocolate go well together.


And this sure beats the way my mom eats Fritos... she takes the big ones (Scoops?), slathers on some pimento cheese and tops with a banana pepper. GAG ME.