Have you ever been browsing through blogs or cruising through cyberspace, only to come upon something that makes you say "WHAT?!"?
I woke up way too early this morning, unable to fall back asleep. The house was dark and quiet, so I gave up trying, made myself some coffee and logged onto my computer.
Somehow, someway, I ended up here:

Can you even guess what these are photos of?
I may be out of the loop, but even being the healthcare professional that I am, I was pretty grossed out by these ideas.
Still guessing?
These are from an article about Things you can do with your placenta (click on the link if you are desperate to learn more...)
Oh.My.Word.
Your placenta, ground up and encapsulated so you can enjoy the benefits of ingesting it without the mess. A teddy bear stitched from a salt-cured placenta.
Um, yuck.
I can tell you that I went through natural childbirth with all three of my babies. No drugs or epidurals for me. Joe and I went through Bradley classes when we were expecting Elijah. I had a birth plan (in my head, not written down). I liked the idea of having a home birth, but was too chicken to actually do it.
That being said, I never considered doing anything with my placenta, other than push it out and forget about it. I remember joking about keeping it to bury underneath the old oak tree, but it was a joke!
Now I'm curious...did any of you do anything crazy with your placenta? Does the mere idea of a teddybear placenta gross you out, or do you think it's cool? I am dying to know!

11 comments:
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who would think of that? So what do you DO with it? Let your child play with it... (I think I threw up a little in my mouth)
Hey - speaking of chicken to do the home birth thing, have you ever seen that documentary by Rikki Lake - something like "The business of being born"???? It was a great documentary on home births.
Just trying to get my mind off that craziness of that teddy bear I just saw... haha!!!
Holy smokes that is really gross.
Cannot imagine.
I was drug free too, except with Thomas.
No home birth for me, I'm a high risk chicka.
It's a sick and wild world we live in.
I remember after Sammy was born Paul asked the doctor if he could have it for fishing bait!
Oh, hell no. No, no, no, no, no.
I went through lamaze classes. I got an epidural because after 8 hours of hard contractions NOT pushing that child out, I couldn't take it anymore. I never wanted to remember anything about all that pain, let alone keep a nasty souvenir. ACK!
Yum, yeah people are crazy!
THAT needs to be on catalogliving.com
I was just talking yesterday about the birthing process, and how each of my girls were SOOO different, and what I would do if I did it again. And I'm not sure about a lot of it, but I can tell you the placenta would end up in some medical waste thing JUST like Essie's & Gert's.
Not as a chew toy for my dog.
oh my.
that is actually quite repulsive.
and there truly are some very nutty people in this world.
I've heard of people planting it in the yard with a tree, etc., but that's just not for me, but then neither was natural childbirth.
I had no plans to fashion my placenta into a teddy bear or a capsule. To be fair though, I had no idea those were options!
I guess it's one of those "whatever works for you" type issues.
Why, yes! I ate mine, doesn't everybody?
NOT....that was unbelievable. Who the heck would want it made into a teddy bear to display.
tee hee .... oh dear. I have loads of granola friends, and they have probably done some of these things. I've even ran across something recently that had placenta prints .... apparently you dip the thing in paint/water and drag it across canvas -- I mean create beautiful art with it.
Yuck. I'm darn proud of (I'm sure) my huge placenta, but I'm glad it's wherever it is.
Gag!
Post a Comment