Monday, July 5, 2010

Marriage tip...

Marriage counselors say it all the time.

You should do it weekly.

If not weekly, at least monthly.

Write it on the calendar.

Make a plan.

Do it as a couple or with a group of friends.

Doesn't need to be fancy or expensive (but it can be), as long as you are spending the time reconnecting.

What am I speaking of?


Date night, of course (where was your mind?!).

Joe and I have good intentions of making this a monthly event, but time just gets away from us.  This past Friday night, though, all the stars were aligned, Kay was available to babysit, and we had a plan.

Dinner at a new restaurant (Stone Creek in Montgomery...delicious!).  Tickets to a comedy club (Go Bananas...hysterical).  Margaritas at a new Mexican restaurant on the way home (yum).

As always, at the end of the evening, we look at each other and wonder why we don't do this more often.

What about you?  How often do you have date night?  What's your date of choice?



12 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree. Everytime Eric and I go out alone we remember why we are such good friends. It's been a while since we have done that.

Isn't Go Bananas where Tim Hawkins has performed? I think I've seen that on youtube.....hmmmm?

LoveFeast Table said...

Date night is a priority around here too!! We tell our kids that mommy and daddy need time and it's important. We know we are modeling healthy marriage for all 5 people who are watching us!
Love the new look, btw!
Kristin

Rebecca Jo said...

Good for you! That's gotta make you better parents when you two can enjoy each other! .... And big thumbs up for comedy club as the date night! Nothing better then laughing together!

Jen said...

that is totally awesome. Jeff and I could really use a date night.

CaraBee said...

Neil and I have date night probably 3 times a month. His parents love watching Sophie and are very available to us. We really are very lucky. We generally go to dinner, and there is often a movie involved, but probably once a month we go out with friends and once every so often we'll do a big show or something more elaborate. The time away from our parenting responsibilities is so important for us.

PS - Doing other things weekly doesn't hurt a relationship either. Just sayin'. And yes, my mind is totally in the gutter.

Shelley said...

First, I totally love your new decor....Second, we don't have date night, ever!!!!
We usually wind up going out to lunch together or something like that. Not very romantic at all. We really NEED a date night.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

During the school year we have date night once a week...usually on a Tuesday night (that's Johns Sunday)

During the summer though....it's date night 3 times a week....'cause having an empty nest you can be spontaneous....like last night....we went to a bar at 9:45 (that was a 30 min. drive) just to eat Chili cheese fries....they were so YUMMY!!!

Date night is for sure VERY important in keeping your marriage healthy....especially when you work as hard as you do and with little ones in the house.

Glad you guys had a good time!

BBB said...

Mr. B and I at this point get date nights quite often... not being married yet and all.

But once we ARE married... you can bet that this will be a major priority.

And you're right - it's not the amount of money that's spent, but the time.

stephanie said...

how fun!

anthony and i had our first date night in a LONG time on friday for his birthday. we went to an awesome dinner at a super yummy restaurant where our waiter spoke to us in a heavy italian accent. good times!

HiHoOhio said...

date night, twice a month, usually a newcomers party and a dinner out somewhere new are what we do. probably something with live music here and there too!

mep said...

We are not very good about planning date nights, partly because we don't live near either set of our parents who are most willing (and cheapest!) babysitters.

I was just thinking about how we need to call my hubby's nephew to come over some evening once we have all the kids to sleep. It will be 8:30 or 9:00 by then, but we could at least go grab a drink (especially considering we can walk to about twenty bars within ten minutes of us).

Thanks for the tip!

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

@Cara -- girl, you have GOT to have a rock solid marriage! And, I agree -- weekly alone time, nookie, "special sessions of Congress" or whatever you want to call it is vital.

We are lucky if we have date nights once a month. I have a hard time finding someone to watch the Kennedy Kaboodle. My plan is to get all the kids in bed at a reasonable hour, then do a picnic/movie/wine kind of thing at home.

Heather, congratulations!