For example, this time last year, Gabe was entering preschool for his premiere school experience.
He loved preschool, so much that he cried everytime we came to pick him up.
Every other day or so, I would get a progress report from Mrs. Edwards, updating us on Gabe's status."Sometimes Gabe likes to tackle friends."
"Sometimes Gabe doesn't like to follow directions."
"Sometimes Gabe decides that he'd rather play than learn his ABC's."
Could you read between the lines there, as in "Your boy is a stinker and preschool is quite the struggle for him"?
Despite a rough start, we perservered and ended up having a great year.
Fast forward to this September...
I'm excited to send Gabe to Young 5's, a preschool class especially for kids who are too young (in many ways) to start kindergarten. I'm especially excited to have all three of my kiddos in school for at least part of the day (imagine all the scrapbooking I'm gonna get done!).
Gabe was excited, despite the looks of it:

By the time I dropped him off, he wouldn't even pose for a picture...
There are seven other kids in his class, including two friends by the name of Calvin and Jack. Mrs. Tunison and Miss Shannon are his teachers. (Calvin adores Gabe, can you tell? He's small for his age, Gabe is tall for his...they make the cutest pair!)
At the end of the first week, I asked Mrs. Tunison how Gabe was doing. Specifically, I asked, "Is Gabe being a good boy?".
She looked at me in disbelief, wondering what on earth would make me ask that question.
"He's great!", she said.
No reading between the lines, no apologies necessary for the behavior of my exuberant boy.
He's doing just great.


10 comments:
Seriously, I could have written this post word for word. A year does make a huge difference. I need to do a comparison post of Carter. The first week of school for Carter, this year, I spoke with his teacher and she said he was one of her top students. I was shocked. My husband asked, what happens when he gets home?! At least whatever we're trying to show them at home is working, even though not at home! ;)
He looks so happy in that last picture. GO Gabe! :-)
that is awesome. I am so glad that he likes school and is behaving. We go to a status report tonight and I hope that I get the same report about hayden.
It *is* amazing how much difference a year makes. They change soo fast at that age.
Just wondering. Maybe it had something to do with the teacher, too?
That's awesome!! I love the picture of him trotting off... looks like a ball of energy waiting to just take off running!!!! Now that's good when a kid wants to RUN to school!!!
He just needed the right class!
It just takes them a while to adjust. Emily is finally settling in to her K-3 class.
I can't believe you got a letter home like that from a teacher.
I am so glad that you had this option for Gabe. He will love school so much more because he was given time to be himself and not sent into Kindergarten or as I put it, the time for them to learn that being their wonderful exuberant self is not acceptable. Kindergarten was a living nightmare as I got those kind of bitting comments from the teacher all the time. I am SO glad that you are not getting that. I love those teachers out there that get it, kids, especially boys take a while to get on the same page as the girls and it just takes time and patience. Enjoy your time to scrapbook and do whatever you want.
Wow, so happy for you - i remember all your posts about wanting Gabe to be settled at Pre-school - it must be a weight of your chest knowing he is a happy little camper now! Maybe there is more positive energy and love around him at the new place :-)
That's great news that he's doing better this year. He's so cute in that picture with his backpack, it looks like it could just pull him backwards right onto the ground.
I think that perhaps Gabe's teacher last year had issues. - I'm just sayin'.
Post a Comment