Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A case study

A case study:

Determine the effect of sugar (in the form of chocolate donuts) on a certain four-year-old boy.




Supplies needed: boy and donuts.




Process: Take boy to local grocer. Allow boy to pick out a box of chocolate donuts and consume as many as his heart desires. Okay, I did limit the number to five. Five teensy-weensy little chocolate gems.


Test the theory: Once the sugar has kicked in, take boy to preschool. Drive home, scrapbook and listen to your new Kings of Leon CD. Forget all about the case study.


Crap! Jump in the van and race to the preschool to pick up the experiment, I mean, the boy.


When the boy's teacher approaches the van with boy in tow, both looking somber and rather upset, quickly forget about those donuts. Make appropriately stern comments about the boy requiring not one but TWO timeouts during the schoolday. Apologize profusely to teacher, drive home and promptly put boy to bed, in trouble for getting in trouble at school (house rules).


Remember the donuts. Oops.


Clearly the effect of sugar on the boy is hyperactivity, inability to follow directions, inability to control one's self, and general mayhem and destruction.


Lesson learned: Be a good mom and feed your boy a healthy lunch devoid of chocolate donuts before preschool. Save the donuts for when Daddy is in charge :)


Sorry, Gabe.

21 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh you mean mom. You should have had to go to bed when you got home. (you wish, huh!)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Are you on the island? How do you get your date to say it's tomorrow when it isn't? Maybe you gave blogger a bit of that sugah, too??

The Wife O Riley said...

You can always just blame it on your husband to the teacher. That's what I do.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Oh man now I want chocolate donuts!

MarciaBrady said...

Too funny! Yes, good case study for daddy!!

Now I want some chocolate donuts...which is clearly not in my menu plan for weight loss!!

ChicagoLady said...

Interesting case study. Doesn't that make you wonder, if Gabe was like that after five, would he be twice as bad after 10?

Heather said...

Yes, Kat, I am on the island.

With Sawyer.

Ssshhhh, don't tell Lula.

I accidentally hit publish post before doing post options with tomorrow's date. That's how I did it...

Now I'm gonna go pretend me and Sawyer are on the beach.

Unknown said...

Take that and multiply it by... oh... gazillions and you will have Devon after helping herself to an entire (half) batch of fudge! Oh yeah, some major wall bouncing going on there.
And still there are some who will say sugar has no effect on kids being hyper.

Jen said...

Opps! I am so going to remember this.

Heather said...

At least the sugar high was on her watch and not your's!

Lula! said...

YOU ARE NOT WITH SAWYER!

Bitch. Them's fighting words.

Kidding...I love you.
And here's why we are Divinely linked...I totally bought Caroline mini-powedered sugar donuts. TODAY! I never buy those things. Guess God wanted Gabe and Caroline to get their sugar rush on together.

Of course He did.

Let's eat these immediately after the Kings of Leon concert. Ooooooh...it will be a night full of delicious rushes.

Melissa said...

I so didn't want Def Leppard to end......pour some sugar....
Where was I? Oh yes, chocolate. It's supposed to be good for you, right? Definitely not totally feelin' this comment. Yeah. I got nothin'.

WheresMyAngels said...

When Aysha gets sugar she goes NUTS!

So if we get together, we have to remember NO SUGAR!

Suzann said...

YOU should get a time out and go to bed!! It's all your fault. Poor Gabe. My little buddy. LOL. Hey, we've all done it. Heck, I've sent Krispie Kreme Donuts (full-size, 2 per child) in to school for Thomas' birthday - the teacher should deal with it.

Rebecca Jo said...

that is funny!!! Poor guy! It is crazy to see the affects of sugar on kiddos... I bet the teacher was whooped at the end of the day!

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

jineen said...

i am so grateful you found your way to my blog! i can't believe people actually read what i have to say! i love the donuts story! my little one is 7 and i swear, the only donuts in the world he can have are entenmans (sp?) frosted chocolate covered donuts. and he eats just one or two and he's off! i love that you are so honest! have a great day!

Kim said...

Tell Teach to lighten up...have a chocolate donut.

jineen said...

i forgot, i am a nurse on a cardiac stepdown unit. how about you? i love meeting other nurses! we truly are a breed unto ourselves!

HiHoOhio said...

Without a doubt when Joe is in charge!

Shannon said...

Love the last part, about saving the donuts for when Daddy is in charge!

And you have less than a WEEK until DISNEY! Are you excited?!