Friday, September 26, 2008

Sleep...

Sleep is a natural state of bodily rest observed throughout the animal kingdom. It is common to all mammals and birds, and is also seen in many reptiles, amphibians and fish. In humans, other mammals, and a substantial majority of other animals which have been studied — such as fish, birds, ants, and fruit-flies — regular sleep is essential for survival.[1] However, its purposes are only partly clear and are the subject of intense research.





Somehow, it seems like everyone else in my family gets way more sleep than I do. Most of the time, that is just fine with me. I like to have that quiet time to myself...to read, scrapbook, blog, pray...whatever suits me at the moment. Yesterday, when Joe was taking a nap as I prepared dinner before I went to work for the night, I wasn't even irritated (okay, maybe I was a little tiny bit annoyed that he was resting instead of me, even though he was going to get to go to bed in several hours while I was going to be up all night long at the hospital, but really, that's neither here nor there).
Where was I?
Oh, yeah, sleep, or the lack thereof for me, the momma. I remember being young, getting a full 8 or 10 or 12 hours of sleep a night, waking up in the morning feeling refreshed and perky (yes, I have always been a morning person). Then, I turned 18 and started nursing school, working two different part-time jobs to help pay my way. One of those jobs was a secretarial position at the hospital, working night shift. I could hardly stand it. Around 5am, I would start daydreaming passionately about (my pillow). I could barely stay awake on the drive home. Between working and studying and going to clinicals, I never got enough sleep. (Didn't have much of a social life, either).
Fast forward to becoming a mom. Those first sleepless nights with a newborn. Then with a sick baby. Then with a toddler climbing out of bed and into yours 'cause they just want "to BEEE with you" (yes, Isabel, I'm talking about you). I don't even want to think about the sleepless nights caused by a teenager missing curfew yet. Just can't go there...
I often wondered how on earth I would be able to make it through my life on 3 or 4 hours of sleep at any given time. Now I know. God gives you the strength that you need when you need it. Sometimes He takes that strength away when He knows that what you really need is rest. For example, on Wednesday morning, I woke at 7:15am to get the kids ready for school. I went to Muscle Max class with Becky. I went on the field trip with Gabe. I cooked dinner. I worked a 12 hour shift at the hospital. I went out to breakfast with friends. Then, after being awake for over 26 hours, I drove home and fell asleep for 3 1/2 hours, til it was time to get Gabe from the sitter and bring him home for his nap. Then I had to function as a mom and a wife for the rest of the day, and get the kids to bed, and now here I sit, blogging. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn. Not at all. I am tooting God's horn, for giving me the energy I needed to get me through to now, bedtime. Truly, He is my rock, helping me stand when I need to, giving me a place to rest my weary head when I can't take another step.
Next month, when I am able to cut my hours down at work and do fewer night shifts, then my sleep time will be restored somewhat. And I will maybe have a few less wrinkles around my eyes than I do now. (And be a little less cranky towards the kids at bedtime). But for now, I am leaning on my rock, and getting recharged so I can do it all again tomorrow...

16 comments:

Heather said...

I love to sleep, but haven't had the chance in about seven years. One day...

BITR Country Girl said...

I LOVE sleep! The more sleep the better, but there are just some days it's just not possible. Have a great weekend!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

God is GREAT!! Keep leaning on him! I totally understand the lack of sleep....and I LOVE my sleep.
And how you work 12 hours a NIGHT, be momma, wife, maid etc. etc..etc...WOW! God is for sure giving you energy!!!

Michelle said...

You are my hero. I love you. Pffff, after the kids get older and you can sleep, you still can't.

Becky said...

God must give me other strengths....need sleep!

Oh and by the way..I am not OCD! I mean not really OCD. Okay maybe a little. What the definition of OCD? I'll write it in my calandar when I find out.
Dammit, you know me too well...

Heather said...

With a newborn on the way I won't be getting any sleep soon. If your up at 3 am, as I'm sure I'll be nursing think of me. :)

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I don't sleep much! I try and get everything done when the kids go to bed. Then in the morning when Aden gets up at 7 I'm a train wreak -- I'll learn my lesson one day. Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing -- Much Love --

Jen said...

It is so unfair that once you become a mom, sleep is something you crave but never get. And nursing doesn't help this issue either.

Heathersmom said...

Have I told you lately how proud I am of you? Well, I am! You are such a good wife, mother and a great person besides being a wonderful daughter. You and your sisters are such good people. One day you will get to sleep again. I'll think of you all in my dreams. Sorry, I had to say that. Love, Mom

Pennies In My Pocket said...

I love sleep. Right now I am totally blessed with a child who likes to sleep in...I am SO NOT the morning person.

Wow, your schedule while in school is making me tired right now. Amazing.

Hang in there, sweetie!

~melody~

Lula! said...

This is BRILLIANT, Heather. My favorite from you thus far. SO GOOD.

Wow, I totally love you even more now. Because you rock. And because your kids are so gorgeous even when they're sleeping.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I need to go to sleep. Because I was up waayy too late last night trying to figure out the minutiae of a swap. And I can sleep in tomorrow. Not that the children will allow it. But I could. Wonder what would happen if I locked the door. And hung up a do not disturb sign. Or a do not disturb unless you are on fire sign.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Reading that made me tired and also inspired all at the same time. Thank you!!! I do hope that you get some time to catch upon sleep soon.

Sass said...

This is such a true post!

Came across your blog by way of SITS. Congrats on the recognition!

~sass

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting on God being your rock through no sleep. I am just starting my no sleeping years and have needed to lean on him a lot already which is where I should be leaning.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

I'm here to spread hope! My kids are now 8, 14 and 15 and guess what? I get to take NAPS...nice, quiet, relaxings naps. I know some people think I'm lazy, or weird, but I love naps. You too will get to this point and then all will be well. Okay, I 'fess up that sometimes I'm still tired because if any of the kids wake up at night, then I wake up, but truly the naps are delightful:)