Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Preschool Blues

Bit of a tricky title, this one. Makes you think maybe Gabe didn't wanna go to school, huh? Quite the opposite. The boy had his backpack on since 7:30am (school starts at 12:45pm). I had to make Elijah and Isabel sneak out to the bus stop, because I knew Gabe would think he was riding the bus, too. Thankfully, Mamaw Kay came over to play, and that helped pass the time until it was (finally) time to go.


He could hardly stand to sit still for this picture, he was so ready to go.


No crying, clinging to mommy, being shy or afraid; nope, not Gabe. He went running into the first classroom he saw (not his). Had to take him down the hall to the right one (same teacher Isabel had 4 years ago). He ran past the other kids to this play area, and dug right in, not caring at all that I was leaving. I thought I might tear up a little, being that this is my baby and all, but since he was clearly fine, so was I.

Joe met me at the school to pick Gabe up at the end of the day (a mere 2 1/2 hours later). They were out at the playground in the 100 degree heat; sweaty, tired, hungry, and a bit overwhelmed. When I met him halfway, Gabe started to cry a little. Because he missed me and Daddy? Because he "couldn't like" school? Oh, no...



Because he didn't want to go home! He wanted to stay at preschool forever! Now, really, I'm glad he liked it so much, but I'm starting to take offense here.
It only took a minute for him to change his mind and decide to go home with Mommy (after I bribed him with a cold drink, a snack, and some cartoons). Hey, whatever works, right?


12 comments:

HiHoOhio said...

The good news is he CAN like it and the bad news is that HE LOVES IT. It is ok Mom, you will find ways to fill your time and enjoy it! I know one, opening boxes???!!!!! Not!

BBB said...

It is the universal mommy conundrum... do you want them to cry because you're leaving or do you want them to cry because you're staying?

Becky said...

Yeah!! my first comment! Thank you..thank you very much!

That was so sweet of you to help me set up my blog on your first day of all your babies in school!!

You will LOVE having this small morsel of time each day that preschool blesses you with!

Michelle said...

Be glad. I was nervous all morning waiting for Morgan to start being "sick" before school today but he did good, finally, only took eight years.

Jen said...

I know the feeling well. Its like hey remember me, the one who gave you life. At the very least they could smile at you when you come to pick them up. No, its usually, 'hi mom. can I stay longer?'

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comment. I really needed to hear that.

momoflots said...

What a cute little guy!! So glad he had fun!! Thanks for visiting my blog and the kind comments about our Lego cake.
Blessings,
Mom of lots

Lula! said...

He is so adorable that it makes ME wanna cry! So glad he loved it...it's always easier when they are happy.

Don't even ask me how Caroline's first day of dance went...'cause I refuse to speak of meltdowns. But she and I both had one. Sigh...

cherish.photography said...

Awe...he is so cute!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

You made it through that experience. I am glad that he did so well and so did you. Now you just have 18 more years to go.

Katy said...

Thanks so much for visitng my blog, you have such a gorgeous boy!

Katy said...

I would love to make you a little louie and send it too you, my email address is katyelisha@gmail.com, contact me if you still would like one, no payment necessary :-)

Heathersmom said...

I can't believe my precious little boy is going to pre-school. I wish your dad was here to see him but I quess he does see him from up above. His cousin Halie started head start school yesterday too. She is just like Gabe, she loves it. It is good for both of them. I will talk to you soon. Ashley had to help me play the video. I will get the hang of this thing soon. Love, Mom