One of Isabel's goals for Christmas vacation was to clean and organize her room, making space for her new birthday/Christmas gifts and clearing the shelves of stuff she didn't play with any longer.
Her collections of Littlest Pet Shop and Barbies were on the top of the "too babyish" list.
Yesterday, we spent hours packing and sorting and saving the favorites.
We laughed and reminisced about all the many hours we spent playing Barbies together.
I managed to make it through without shedding one single tear.
It's bittersweet, these milestones.
I remember doing the same thing when I was eleven. Feeling too old to play with "kid" toys, though not yet old enough for the teen stuff I wanted to be a part of.
And so it begins with my own daughter.
Have there been any milestones that you had a hard time with?
6 comments:
Ahhh - that makes ME want to cry... thinking about growing up... what I'd give to have a room full of Barbies to play with again & be young...
For me, it killed me when the girls started to DRIVE!!!!! That about pushed me over the edge... get prepared now! ;)
UGH. Honey, I cry about everything. In 2010 I cried as Thomas packed up his "baby books" and "Thomas the Tank Engine Stuff", Caitlyn turned 16 and started driving, Victor turned 20, Thomas turned 10, oh boy the list goes on and on. But, I do remember when Caitlyn chose the barbies she would keep forever and those that will be given away. Between that and her American Girl Dolls, I was a blubbering fool.
I'm getting misty-eyed here just thinking about it. I packed up all of my girls Thomas the Train stuff (including the train table) to give to my friend's toddler for Christmas and it was really hard to do.
I think harder than that though are packing up clothes that my youngest grows out of. Many times, they are things passed down from my oldest and it's when they get bagged up that I realize that I'm never going to have another little one that fits into these things. Ok, I'm off to sob now...
We still have all of our Thomas the Tank Engine stuff. He's still not ready to give them up though he's now obsessed with Star Wars and Legos. He still wants his picture books though he wants to read "real" books now too. I'm going to be sad when that all changes...
I haven't been weepy over packing up the old toys, but like Angie, it's the old clothes that make me sad. For the same reason... knowing that I'll never have another little one to wear them! :(
We just recently got rid of our infant car seat. I kept my baby in it even though she was way (and weigh!) too big for it because I was in denial that she's almost nine months. My husband said, "Do you want to say goodbye to it?" He was joking, but then I teared up as I thought about bringing three different babies home in it.
Post a Comment