Back in 2005, my family lost three men in one year.
My grandpa died in June, to dementia and kidney failure.
My dad died in August, to lung cancer.
Joe's grandpa died in October, to emphysema and pneumonia.
My kids lost three grandpas in four short months.
The only one left is Bob. Joe's dad. My father-in-law. Kay's husband. The kids' Papaw.
For the past several years, he has suffered from high blood pressure, heart issues and a whopping case of denial.
In this past month, all of these issues came to a head. Bob was hospitalized for congestive heart failure, atrial fibrillation and renal insufficiency. After a week, he was improved enough to go home, but not healed altogether.
Last Friday, we found out that he needs open heart surgery to bypass the three blocked vessels (yes, you only have three main coronary arteries, and all three of his are nearly completely blocked with plaque).
Next Wednesday, he will go into the operating room at the hospital where I work. An excellent cardiothoracic surgeon will stop his heart, repair the problem, and restart it.
When I think of it from my "nurse mode", it is all very routine and not scary in the least.
When I think of it from "family member mode", I think of the many things that could go wrong and I get choked up just thinking of losing this man. I know in my heart that Bob's heart is in God's hands. I know that He has a plan. I just want to know that the plan doesn't leave my kids without their Papaw.
Would you please keep our family in your prayers this week, and specifically next Wednesday? Thank you so much, sweet friends.

11 comments:
Every day. Sending you prayers, love and good thoughts.
I'll be on my knees every night.
OK... that totally did not come out right. You know what I meant.
But hopefully I made you laugh! ;)
Praying for all of you and for the doctors.
Praying now and everyday.
Love you sista chicka!!!
I know you're praying for my family & I will MOST DEFINITELY pray for your family...
Have to have faith in God's plans... & yes, I'm like you as well, I would be happy if those plans lined up with My plans :/
Glad you have that "nurse mode" that gives you some comfort in knowing how it all works...that is priceless in moments like this, I'm sure!
Hugs to you all!
Yes, he'll be tucked into prayer as will all hospital staff. The only thing I know to do is pray and trust God...cast your cares upon Him for He careth for you.
This I believe will all my heart!
praying for sure. :)
Still laughing from Shannon's comment.
Bob and your entire family will be in my prayers this week. My own father in law had quintuple bypass a few years ago. It's scary business. But he came through with flying colors and I'm sure Bob will too!
Hugs, dear friend.
I'll be holding your family in my heart and my prayers.
My father-in-law had a bypass in 1997 and his ticker is still ticking.
First of all - that Shannon is a bit of a hussy!
second - I'll be praying..
Oh, my goodness! I'll be thinking of your family and sending healing thoughts.
Done.
Post a Comment