Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A tutorial

New to texting?  Need a tutorial?  Well, then, read on...



I just started texting last summer, after much peer pressure by my sister and some friends.  Once I started, I quickly became addicted.  Sometimes, though, I get a text and think, "What did they just say?!".  I decided to google "texting abbreviations" and get my own tutorial.  OMG, LOL, I couldn't believe what some of these things mean!  For instance, did you know 1174 means nude club?  Hello, my house number is 1174...better not text my address to anyone!

Here are some more:

*$ = Starbucks
ACORN = A Completely Obsessive Really Nutty Person
BYOA = Bring Your Own Advil
TY = Thank You

Ready to test your texting prowess?

Here we go:

What does this text mean?  ABITHIWTITB




Figured it out yet?

How about a contest?  Leave a comment with your answer (no fair googling, either!), and I'll pick a winner at random on Friday.  Winner will receive a pack of handmade cards made my moi :)  Good luck.

Do you text?  What's the weirdest text you've ever received?




10 comments:

Suzann said...

I text. All The Time. Nope, didn't know that crazy one - my teen doesn't know it either. I lose. LOL.

CaraBee said...

I am so not hip to all of the texting abbreviations. I type out every word.

All boys in the house ice with the inky talk back. I'm right, right? :)

brainella said...

Well. Wow. I'm not a texter so let's see what we can come up with. And thanks for the texting lesson!

ABITHIWTITB -- All Babes I Texted Had ignored what texts I texted, babe.

Pretty good, huh? :)

Jen said...

Jeff says after 5 seconds of thought, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Love Texting!!

stephanie said...

always breakdance inbetween* the hotties in white to instigate the barfight*

*yes, these are legitimate texting words

mep said...

I've been texting for less than a year, and I am the slowest texter ever. I can't stand to abbreviate.

I want to crack ABITHIWTITB, but I'm too tired tonight. I think I'll send it to my youngest brother (professional texter) tonight to see what his response is and try to get some clues.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I just got a phone and a plan that would support texting in June. So I am so late to the game, no one texts me :-) And then...the people that do...well we use real words and actual punctuation. And (lord have mercy) grammar. Correctly.

But. I actually like puzzles. Did you ever get Games magazine? They always had these great puzzles. Like: 18.5=MEFWGT; OR 88=PK. So...I know what your text stands for. (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.) But...who would text that??

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm a nerd... I googled it... but the thing is, I never got what that saying means anyways ????

I'm a full on texter myself... but with the youth always sending me stuff, I keep google close by so I can ACT cool & know what they are saying! Did you see the dad on "modern Family" talking about that... I crack up everytime... he's like "OMG - oh my god.... LOL - laugh out loud.... WTF - Why the face" - I die every time I hear that!

Brandy said...

I cheated. But I still don't understand why A) anyone would text that and B) why it would be any easier to type all those letters versus the real thing.

Having said that I do use a lot of abbreviations when I text. I did NOT know about 1174 though. Not that I've ever had a reason to send someone a message about a nude club. Hmph.

sanjeet said...

All boys in the house ice with the inky talk back. I'm right, right? :)

Work From Home