With Isabel and Elijah being the ages they are (10 and almost 12), they don't much like to be the center of attention on my blog. An occasional tribute to their accomplishments is fine, but sharing a funny story or mishap from their lives? Notsomuch.
Gabe was three when I started blogging. Not only can he not read, he also doesn't mind being the center of attention...in fact, he thrives on it. And he could care less if I share funny stories about him, as his ability to be embarrassed has not yet developed.
Which is why so many of my blog readers and friends know him so well. Gabe is such a character; he says something hilarious at least five times a day; he doesn't know a stranger, and could make a friend in a box. So many of the comments on a "Gabe post" are: I love that kid!
Yep, we love him, too! And he loves that y'all love him. I read him your comments all the time. He knows you by name, and even knows where some of you are from.
Take Suzann, (from The Olive Cottage/Lavender and Roses), for instance.
We started commenting on each other's blogs over a year ago. I used her Thanksgiving Day prayer for my family dinner; we bonded over emails on New Year's Eve 2008, then started texting this summer. We are kindred spirits, my sister-chicka and I. The fact that she loves my Gabe just seals the deal.
Suzann's youngest son, Thomas, is Isabel's age. When Suzann offered to send Gabe some Hot Wheels that she came across, I assumed she meant some of Thomas' old toys. This past Friday, the UPS man delivered a package for Master Gabe...he was excited beyond words.
We called Suzann (for the first time ever) and not only did Gabe thank her for the "thousand of new Hot Wheels", but also told her about his miniature dollhouse and invited her over to play.
Told ya he could make a friend in a box. Or after opening a box; whatever...
As a thank you for the sweet gift (Hot Wheels are the way to this boy's heart), Gabe and I are making Suzann some handmade cards. We worked on them a bit yesterday, and the first thing Gabe said upon waking up this morning was, "C'mon, Mom. Let's go downstairs and make some more cards to send to Chi-CAR-go!"
(I love that he remembered where Suzann lives!)
Thanks so much, Suzann! You made Gabe's day...even his whole weekend. Getting a special package from a blog friend of mommy's is the real deal! And Isabel and Elijah are such great older siblings, they weren't jealous at all; just pleased to see Gabe so happy, truly.



10 comments:
How fun!!! It is such a cool world when you make friends with bloggy buddies - people you'd never otherwise meet...
I bet Gabe's day was just made!
Gabe is a doll Heather! No doubt about it. Every time I get a (new) hot wheels car donated to my treasure box, I will stash it away for him.
Have a blessed day tomorrow!
Awesome story! I LOVE the blogosphere and the really wonderful people who populate it!
How cute that he was fired up to work on the cards first thing in the morning!
how sweet!
so if i befriend her, will she send me chocolate?
Well, our conversation touched my heart and this post brought a tear to my eye.
I can't wait till we meet face to face. Cup o' Joe will just be over-joyed I'm sure. LOL.
What a great bloggy friend. :-) I love it.
And that Gabe and his smile.
thanks for the sweet birthday card.....hope to see you soon.
Aww! I don't know who's sweeter...Suzann or Gabe!
Thanks alot Suzann! The ONE Hot Wheel Aunt Chelle brings over when she visits will never be the same. And he will remember that you sent him a thousand and he will tell me about it when I only bring one! :)
It is such a cool world when you make friends with bloggy buddies - people you'd never otherwise meet...
Work From Home
Post a Comment