Friday, March 20, 2009

Optimism

(Wanna play along with Tiffany's "Optimism: Let's get linky with it"? Click here.)

It's not too hard for me to be optimistic.

Thanks to my mom, I was wired that way. While my dad was the scrooge-y, glass-half-empty kind of guy, mom was the every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining kind of gal.

I'm so blessed to have inherited that particular gene, let me tell you. I think my kids would think so, too. What a great gift to give to your children: the power of positive thinking.

My sweet sister, Rhonda (who still doesn't blog, and rarely reads mine unless prompted...ahem), sent me this email the other day. Perfect timing for a post about optimism...


"Any day I'm vertical is a good day"...that's what I always say.
If you ask me,"How are you?"
I'll answer, "GREAT!" because in saying so, I make it so.
When Life gives me dark clouds and rain, I appreciate the moisture that brings a soft curl to my hair.
When Life gives me sunshine, I gratefully turn my face up to feel its warmth on my cheeks.
When Life brings fog, I hug my sweater around me and give thanks for the cool shroud of mystery that makes the familiar seem different and intriguing.
When Life brings snow, I dash outside to catch the first flakes on my tongue, relishing the icy miracle that is a snowflake.
Life's events and experiences are like the weather - they come and go, no matter what my preference.
So, what the heck?!I might as well decide to enjoy them.
For indeed, there IS a time for every purpose under Heaven.
And each season brings its own unique blessings."
excerpt from Mac Anderson's book "Learning to Dance in the Rain"

10 comments:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I love that, seeing the simple pleasure in life.....what a great post. I will have to check out that book when my life is my own again.

Thanks for your encouraging words about my vent. Why is it that was women, whatever we do there is always some guilt involved in it? That is the thing that makes me do less then I want to cause I know that someone is going to be inconvenienced.....

Anonymous said...

Yes - well written!

Wayne said...

I would call my self a optamist I do belive that there is always a better day

Indrani said...

What a cosy family, God Bless!
Great post!
I came via PSF!

MarciaBrady said...

I LOVE IT!! I'm gonna have to steal that from you!

Diva Scrapper said...

What a lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I am an optimist for sure!!!

I adore this photo even though you can't see Gabe's face. It makes me smile.

ChicagoLady said...

Awesome post, and an awesome song to go along with it. I Can Only Imagine is one of my absolute favorites. I just can't help but turn it up real loud and sing along.

Suzann said...

Well, how nice for you chicka! Just call ME negative Nellie. : )

Tiffany said...

I love this.

Man, your family is gorgeous!!!