Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's that time of year...

for preschool conferences.

I've had great experience with school conferences so far. I did well at school as a kid, never in any trouble, so those parent-teacher pow-wows never seemed like a big deal.

Then I had kids of my own.

Elijah is in fifth grade. He has always had great reports, and is well-liked by (most) of his teachers.

Every teacher on the planet loves Isabel. She is sweet, intelligent, and mature beyond her years. This year her teacher wondered if we even needed a conference at all...Of course, I said I wanted one (who doesn't want to hear great things about their kid?).

And then there's Gabe. My exuberant, enthusiastic, energetic bundle of boy.

I worry about Gabe's school career. He has a hard time staying on task, unless it's something he's interested in. He is very social (wonder where he gets that?). He can be a bit stubborn. Not the ideal student on paper, for sure.

Starting preschool after just turning four was a big decision for us. I was afraid he wasn't ready...



I prayed a lot. For guidance, for God's help, for Gabe to have the right teacher.

As is His way, God was faithful.

He sent this sweet woman our way...

I could not have hand-picked a better teacher for my baby boy. Mrs. Edwards loves Gabe, and actually enjoys having him in her class. Despite his refusal to learn how to write his name. Despite the fact that he sometimes "likes to tackle friends". Despite his stubborn dislike of clean-up time.


She loves his personality. His zest for life. His love of Legos and Hot Wheels and recess. Sometimes she has to lay down the law, but mostly she builds him up and encourages him to try again when he fails to master a task.


We had parent-teacher conferences today. Even though preschool doesn't go on your permanent record, I was a little nervous. I know Gabe loves school; I just wasn't sure if the feeling was mutual.


I had no reason to fear. Although Gabe is still "working" on many skills, he has made "good progress" on many others, thanks to Mrs. Edwards. He has grown two inches, gained four pounds, learned how NOT to tackle friends and most importantly, has developed a love for education.


Yes, God is faithful. I hope He doesn't get too tired of hearing my constant prayers for my kiddos, which are mixed in with many prayers of thanks for all He has done so far.


Mrs. Edwards, thank you for loving Gabe, and for not comparing him (out loud) to his big sister. You are truly heaven-sent.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes indeed God bless teachers like her. I could not spend all day, every day, in a room full of preschoolers, no way.

I wonder if your dad was like that as a kid?

Cammie said...

I love GOOD teachers! So far we have been lucky enough to get all good ones....but REAL school begins this year and I am scared....

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Awww How sweet! God did send you an angel when he sent you Mrs. Edwards to teach Gabe!!! You can never compare siblings!!!

Does he start kindergarten this fall or will he do another year of pre-K?

Kate P. said...

I have a Gabe...her name is Hannah! She is now in the Fourth Grade...

All I can say is...

Good Luck with That Sista!

BTW! I thought I was the only blogger that listened to Kings of Leon!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Good teachers are a God send! They are appreciated far to little!

Yeah for Mrs. Edwards!

Ashley said...

How lucky Gabe is to have such a wonderful first teacher. What a great way to start!

Jen said...

This gives me hope for Hayden and kindergarten.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

There are some amazing teachers out there. And we have been so very lucky ourselves in that department.

And the comparing thing. That is so hard as a parent to not do...and I am so thankful that in Madalyn's case, she doesn't have to ever deal with the shadow of her sister in school.

ChicagoLady said...

We need more teachers like Mrs. Edwards!

I don't think God will ever tire of hearing your prayers for all your kids.

Suzann said...

I love teachers who find the best in her children! Gabe Rocks and so does Mrs. Edwards!!!!

Anonymous said...

Saying hi from SITS. Your blog is adorable and so upbeat!

Anonymous said...

Great teachers are awesome!

Cause when they're not it really sucks.

(I'm doing another guest post link if you want to join. And tell your sister too! Her sons post cracked me up!)

Heather said...

Preschool teachers have such a gift. I tried it once. ONCE. For a year and that's all I could handle.

Shannon said...

I worried about my youngest starting school... she's a social creature, too. I thought she'd hate it, except for lunch and recess.

When I quit work to be a SAHM... I knew we'd have to keep her in preschool, even though I would now be home with her. I didn't want her to have a year off before she started kindergarten.

She had great preschool teachers... and she has a wonderful K teacher this year. So all is good! Whew!