Third quarter report cards came home yesterday.
Straight A's for both Elijah and Isabel.
Yay for them. Yay for me and Joe, being the parents of such, ahem, prodigies.
Except for the fact that their Mamaw Kay has given them the idea that they should get money for those grades.
Seven A's, for each child, means fourteen A's to pay for. (See, they get their brains from me, obviously).
I feel the need to remind my kids that while we are very proud of their achievements, there is also a RECESSION going on out there, and A's just aren't worth what they used to be.
Which got me wondering (in true Kat-fashion)...how do fellow parents "reward" their children for good grades? Did you get money for your grades as a kid? Are you surviving the recession?
16 comments:
We always celebrated with a night out to dinner.
Tell them I said good job.
Are you kidding? I never got a single dime for my grades.
Therefore, my children will not get a single dime for their grades, either. AND...when they hit 9th grade, they will be informed, "If you want to go to college, the decisions you make from here on out determine when and where you attend." Meaning their butts better get full scholarships.
'Cause seriously--if we don't have to use the money we've set aside for their college education, that means we're one step closer to the pink beach house in Hilton Head.
PRIORITIES, people!
I am the meanest mom in the world. Proud of it, too.
that is awesome!!!
Okay, I'm certain I'll be in the complete minority here, but what they heck, I'll stick my neck out.
We pay for straight A's. ONLY straight A's. We ground for anything below a C. IF you get anything below a C you are grounded for the entire grading period - mid term reports do not count.
As a child, going to school and achieving high marks is their JOB. When you do a good job you get a monetary reward, it inspires you as a person. My children also get an allowance and have chores.
BUT I do not buy my children anything. They have to buy it themselves. I do buy clothes, necessities, but no fun stuff ever. No shirts, just cuz they're cute, no shoes because I have to have them, no make-up, toys, magazines, books, etc. I don't pay for the movies, or any other social activities. I have strict rules about it all. But, grades can earn ya some great cash in my house. But, only if they are straight A's. Then, cha-ching!
We used to try to motivate with $$$$$$.
Didn't really work "(
Actually, they broke my bank, they do so well in school ")
Good job on those grades!
My grandparents always gave me money for my A's... my parents just told me "good job"...
I think a simple reward is cool - like let them pick where to eat for dinner or what they want YOU to make for dinner... maybe even a cake... with candles!
Good job, guys!
I did not get paid for my grades and I was always an A student. I told my kids I would give them money for A's and my logic was that, in the real world, the better you did, the more money you would make. It didn't work though, they didn't take it into consideration one bit when they were contemplating whether or not to do their homework.
My dad always tried to motivate me with money for my grades. $5 per A. Didn't work. I still only made b's and c's. I have to fully agree with Lula on this one. My kids will not get paid to get A's. They are expected to do their word with excellence. As with all other areas of their life. I realize they are not perfect, but should we not encourage them to pursue excellence just for the sake of it making them a citizen that has something to contribute to society? I hold to the mean mom standard with pride.....and I'm glad I'm not alone in that. Ya'll are seriously some great ladies and I love you.
Obviously, I don't do my work with excellence or I would have realized that I typed "word" instead of "work"....
Do as I say, not as I do, k?
A's were expected. They were congratulated but not rewarded - per say. But I was a good student and good kid so didn't really need motivation... or at least that's what my mom says. Haha!
Damn straight I got paid for my A's. I was the only girl and my brothers were morons! I was daddy's smartest, favoritest girl!!!
Hayden doesn't get grades. i don't know how I feel about this paying for grades deal. Looks like Jeff and I have something to talk about.
I love a shout out :-)
I got paid for grades. It was $10 for an A; $5 for a B; nothing for a C. Then you had to pay mom and dad if you got a D or an F. But as I recall, it wasn't the $$ that motivated. It was just a bonus.
I don't think we'll be paying for grades. Because I don't give Katie grades.
Great job, Elijah & Isabel!!!!! That is awesome!
We gave our girls money...$10 an A. $5 for B's. Nothing for C or less. Let me tell you, it motivated them to do good!!
We had to save up every 9 weeks to give them the money!
WTG Elijah and Isabel!
I never got paid for good grades. My sister and I were expected to try our hardest and do the best we could. We were both Honor Roll students.
I never got paid for good grades... it was expected of us.
H has made straight A's all this year (so far... one more report card to go!) She knows that as long as she tries her best and does the work, it doesn't matter what grade she gets. If she studies for a test and really tries, but ends up making a C... that's ok. But if she knows she has a test coming and doesn't study for it... and makes a C... then she'll be in trouble!
Post a Comment