Today my assignment put the "intense" in Intensive Care.
I worked thirteen hours yesterday, having a fairly busy day. Came home, dropped into bed, watched Lost, slept for a few hours, then got back up and did it again today. I had a feeling it was going to be a busy day.
Yep, looks like I was right.
Three different times I was thisclose to tears. My patient is only thirty-five years old. He is thisclose to dying. He is my age. His wife looks like my sweet sister-in-law. His mom loves to garden, and so does he. He served for two years in the Peace Corps. His body is failing. I hung onto him by my fingernails today, with the help of my unbelievable co-workers and doctors.
I am exhausted.
My kids are suffering from mommy withdrawal.
Sometimes this job is so hard.
There were a couple of bright spots to this day. My patient survived, although he is still in very critical condition. Gabe was a good boy for his Mamaw Kay. I know this, because I called her to check on him. She said so. She also said she was doing laundry. At my house.
Yep, my laundry. So I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow. How on earth did I get so blessed to have this woman for my mother-in-law, and one of my very best friends? Hell, even my best friends don't come and do my laundry...
Anyway, now I'm off to bed. I had to blog a little, to get this off of my mind. If I dream about work, I don't feel rested; I feel like I've just put in another shift. Wine may help with that, also.
God was faithful today. I can't tell you how much I prayed for my patient and his family in those thirteen hours, quietly and near tears. Now I am praying for peace, for all of them and for those of us taking care of him.
*sigh*
18 comments:
Wow sweetie... I so couldn't do what you do. God bless you.
What an amazing job, it must have very good days and some very low days, you are an amazing person to be strong enough to deal with the lows, i know i wouldn't be...
God Bless you and all the staff around you that take care of the sick and dying. Yours can be a thankless job, but your work is appreciated more than you know.
Nurses are definitely gifts from God.
Our two weeks in the ICU were made bearable by the incredible nursing staff there. I am sure that you are an amazing blessing to that family...no matter what happens.
You are such a wonderful, caring person!
I will pray for your patients as well.
God Bless.
Your job is intense and amazing and requires a special person. God knew what he was doing when he guided you to be a nurse.
See - Gabe Rocks!!
I'm jealous of your MIL - mine doesn't even talk to us.
Rest well chicka!!
You post always make me laugh out loud or cry silently.
This post really touched me.
I thank God there are people like you caring for us.
T
Sorry I didn't hear the phone ring last night. You can tell me all about it Saturday. I am so excited. Have we actually "seen" each other since Christmas? I don't think so.
God Bless Kay. Isn't it cool when your MIL sorta likes you better than her own kid. I know, cause I have one too.
I always say it takes a special person to be a nurse - especially in specialty fields as ICU or Neonatal ICU, or Oncology....
I'm sure you were a light in a dark time for that family ... & you're continuing to be with prayers!!
Bless your heart. Please go to sleep for about 16 hours. You need to be all ready for Sunday.
And Kay is a miracle...you know what a BLESSING she is, right?
You are a BLESSING, too. In a few weeks we will be eating and drinking and macking on Caleb Followill and rocking out to his music. (And his brother's music...and his cousin. I love that they keep it all in the family.) I cannnot WAIT!!!
I will pray too. For you and for them.
Just think of how much worse that family's experience would be without someone like you there for them. Unfortunately, giving so much to others really depletes you. Hope you get rested up and de-stressed today.
Yay, for MIL! I hope I am that good of a MIL.
As a friend of a ICU nurse and a friend of a previous NICU patient, I know that the families truly appreciate having caring nurses that are vested in the well-being of their patients. You make a difference. That is awesome.
It takes a special person to be a nurse. If I ever get critically ill in Ohio, I hope I get hospitalized in your hospital :)
Love your new background! You're the one who got me started on those cutest blogs.....
I SO understand this kind of day. I have had a few like that in the past couple of weeks. I am glad that your patient has survived so far, mine have not been so lucky.
That is the one question that I wonder about, how do you not get deeply involved with your patients when their very lives are in your hands daily.....? All I can say is if I ever need a ICU Nurse I am calling you!!!
I have missed alot lately but I loved the post about school and the kids. I worry constantly about my sweet-boy's accademic career, but then again I know that it will click one day, but it may take years. I think the biggest thing is to just make sure that he has the best teachers, ones like Mrs Edwards. They just love the kids no matter how much they do or don't do and they feel that love cause it is real and not phoney.
I love the pictures of Disneyland, so fun. Soon I hope to have some of those too.....
Take care of yourself mentally and physically this weekend if you can!!!♥ I will be finishing up my second clinical at a nursing home. I am really dreading it.....
Thank God for praying, caring, loving nurses like YOU!!!
I remember when my dad was in the ICU, the nurses were so sweet to my dad and to my mom and I. We really appreciated that.
Go get some sleep!
I don't know how you nurses do it... and you do it every. single. day.
God bless you!
Post a Comment