I wasn't sure what to include in this post. I wanted it to be funny, but I also wanted to emphasize those things that make me, well, me. A scrapbooking-ICU nurse-Mommy-wife-sister-friend-blogger-Christian woman. A pretty tall order, I thought.
Then we went to church this past Sunday. We are Methodist, and in the Methodist church, the first Sunday of each month is Holy Communion. Usually we pass the bread around on plates, Pastor Gary blesses the bread, we eat it; ditto for the "wine".
Gabe has only been attending official church since September, after he turned four and proved to the world at large that he had the ability to sit still and remain silent for more than two minutes at a time. That being said, he has only taken communion four times, and each time has been very stressful for me. I tried to explain the meaning of taking communion, but he really wasn't "getting it".
Until now.
Picture this: Gabe, myself, Isabel and Joe are sitting quietly on the pew, towards the front of the church (Elijah is with Papaw a few seats back). The ushers pass the bread plate down our pew, and I take Gabe's bread for him (he tends to be too choosey about his particular piece). Gabe waits for a millisecond before eating the bread (i.e. before Pastor Gary says the "words"). He chews and smiles up at me, knowing he was supposed to wait. I save a piece of my bread for him to eat with the blessing. In the meantime, Gabe is picking at his teeth with his finger. I whisper, "What are you doing?" in a hushed voice, hoping not to attract any unwanted attention.
He answers, in a not-so-hushed-voice, "I'm trying to get this...Jesus is stuck in my teeth!" Just then, he plucks the clump of "Jesus" out of his teeth and swallows it. All around us you hear muffled giggling and snickering.
On to the wine. Or juice; whatever. The purplish fluid representing the blood of Christ. Joe is holding onto Gabe's little thimbleful of juice, so he doesn't drink it before the appointed time. Gabe spies his cup, and loudly whispers "Hey, where's my blood-juice, Dad? I need it!". Joe gives him the cup, hoping to quiet him, at which point Gabe leans over to me and says, "Mom, Jesus isn't in my heart, he's in my stomach!"
Tell me this kid doesn't know the meaning of communion...
I could hardly contain my laughter, and that hysterical moment carried me through the rest of my day. (Thank goodness, 'cause my shift at work totally sucked!)

Here's the sweet thing, saying his bedtime prayer, which has progressed from Dear-Jesus-I-lub-you-amen, to God-is-great-God-is-good-and-we-dank-him-for-our-food-amen.
I love it!
To include y'all in my Post-300-celebration, I am having a giveaway. Now, it's not quite a Sunshine and Lemonade giveaway, but it's the best I've got.
There are three prizes. Leave a comment, and you will be entered in for a chance of one of the three. Become a follower of mine and leave me another comment for another entry (I like being followed, people, c'mon).
I only have a photo of one prize, and here it is:

A set of eight handmade-by-me all-occasion cards (birthday, thank you, congratulations and friend). Made with paper by Basic Grey, and a whole lotta love from me.
Prize two is a handmade scrapbook, in which you can send me your photos and I will scrap them and send you the finished book. It's an 8x8 album, and will be done with this same patterned paper as the cards.
Prize three is my husband.
Just kidding. Although if times get tight, I may rent out his handy-man abilities for some extra cash...
Seriously, the third prize is a set of Valentine notecards, also handmade by moi (and maybe Becky, if she decides to help...hint, hint).
You have until Wednesday at 3pm eastern time to enter, at which point I will attempt the Random Integer thingy to pick three winners. Check back on Thursday to see who won what...
Oh, and thanks for sticking it out with me for 300 posts. Who knew I'd have it in me?
(And that is what she said!)

33 comments:
Does random ever pick number one? And hey...no comparing! Because really...you are making your prizes. That is much harder than throwing cash at something. I'd love cards. Love 'em. Or an album.
And on the communion...Madalyn keeps asking when she can have communion. And my answer remains the same. When she can sit through church and not contstantly ask "is it over yet?"
OMG too funny- that is wonderful, I just LOVE KIDS.
The cards are gorgeous. I'll stalk you just cuz I know the feeling, I like being followed too. ;-)
300 post, you go girl!!
I grew up in a Presbyterian church (I actually still belong to it, it is just 3 hours away). It was a small church and didn't have a youth group so I attended a youth group at a Methodist church. I couldn't remember what the rules were for communion or if their were any. I know we didn't do it every week, it was probably once a month or less. I attend a Christian church now and they have it once a week. Mercede drives me nuts cause she likes to say "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm good" after the grapejuice. Cheyenne cries after communion each week. I think because that is when our prayer feels so emotionally charged.
Gabe, sounds like a hoot. Aysha can't sit still in regular church but they have children services for kids up to the 5th grade, so she has a while before she has to be in with me.
Would Michelle not let you have carboard Edward to give away. I told her I had a place for him ;)
OMG...I'm at work and totally cracking up at this post!! People are looking at me!!! So hilarious!! You know, you could totally write all the things your children say into a book and sell it!! Good stuff!
And, you know I'm lovin' the prizes!! Pick Me, Pick Me!!
I already follow you!!
(I think I used too many exclamation points in this comment!!!!!!!!!!!!)
That Gabe kills me!
Okay, I want your handy dandy home-made cards and I already follow you and you love me. LOL.
okay, I already follow you.....because I am COOL like that. and OH how I loooooove those cards. love them. and that story about your son....made me LMAO. Love him
Gabe has stole my heart once again. He is the best. I just love Gabe stories.
Anf those godies are aweomse. Count me in.
Oh and if you look over to the right you will see my ever so pretty face as I am an official stalker now.
If I leave three (or four) comments can I win all the stuff? I love the cards, I need the scrapbook, and I have a leaky faucet...lol!
I can't wait to get my prizes in the mail! #10 is my lucky number.
Oh, Gabe...he is pure delight. He makes me happy. He makes Jesus happy. It's a good thing all around.
You are swell doing this giveaway. I used one of my Custom-Heather-Created cards last week, when writing my thank yous. I felt so sassy and chic. Because you are sassy and chic.
Hey girl! Loved the 300th post. My grandkids are so awesome. I have so many hysterical memories from all three that can set me off giggling for at least five minutes. I want to win something! I know I bought the exact same paper, but these are Heather originals. I've got my fingers crossed!!! XXXOOOXXX
Sorry you had a crappy day at work!
Love the Gabe story.
Love the giveaways!
I am so happy you finally get some comments. I used to feel so sorry for you in the beginning.
That Gabe is a little stinker. Tell him I'm gonna pinch his butt just 'cause I love him.
I need me some card!!
I am already a follower (you need to follow me, I added the little gadget).
PS. I stalk you now....
Well, I already stalk you!!
I read this to my husband and we were cracking up!! Blood-juice!! hahaha
My girls didn't really understand till the age of 7 or 8.
anything made by you is great!!!
Your story about Gabe at church was hysterical. Those are the memories to hold onto.
Each of those prizes sounds awesome! (Even the husband...)
I'm already following you.
That is the most precious story I ever heard! Gabe is a riot!
Congrats on your 300th post! Man, I'm just tired thinking of that!
I've been a stalker, I mean follower since before Twilight came out in the theaters!
Okay...I am officially "following" you now! Although that seems silly to me because it already seems we follow each other all over the place. You can come "follow" me too if you want since we're BFF's and all....you know that would be nice. There isn't a prize in it for you, but it still would be nice:)
Gabe is too cute! Only he would have Jesus stuck in his teeth.
See you in the morning for MM!
That Gabe, he is just too funny. I love it! What a great contest. I am so sticking with you for the next 300 posts and beyond.
300!?! WOW!! I don't follow your blog daily, but I do follow it enough to know that you are one SUPER talented blogger!! It's so fun to read your stories, and I'm sure you make many smile each day! Congrats on the great job! Now, let ME win--NOT Kay! :) Take care and be happy!! :)
I am so late but I am finally here.
So I am going to make sure that I get picked by entering lots of times.
Before I forget 300 posts that really says something.
I am sure glad that I got in here in time to get to know you for this one.
I love Gabe, I think that he and Sweet-boy would be kindred spirits if they ever met.
My big fear when the bread and water come around is are the kids only going to take one piece. Sweet-boy burped once. I love church stories. Being a teacher I get to hear things that I am sure parents did not want shared. I have known that my neighbor was pregnant for months cause of "sharing" in class.
Okay I am just thinking that I might be getting obnoxious but I really really want to win someting. I loved the Christmas card that you sent and I just looked at all the work that you did on it. It is a treasure!
Okay I think that this is it. I will stop posting comments that really are nonsense. But so jealous that you are going to visit the mouse. We still have never gone and I really want to go before DQ thinks that it is dumb!
Eight comments I can do better than that. So here is nine. Am I done yet - NOPE!!!
Ten, now that should even out the odds a bit or make me go what the......when someone else is chosen.
Have a great day and thanks for putting up with me. he he haaaa
Post a Comment