Following in the footsteps of my friends, Becky and Betty, and my big sister, Michelle, I am going to work on strengthening my spirituality in 2009. I'm hoping to be able to participate in a Beth Moore bible study at our church (if they can get babysitting for Gabe). And starting today, I am going to do a post about a bible verse on the 1st and 15th of each month, working to memorize those verses as I go along. If this strikes a chord in your heart, go check out Betty's post and hop on the bandwagon with us!I'm starting out with one of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 29:11-13...
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'"
The footnote in my bible explains it like this: "As long as God, who knows the future, provides our agenda and goes with us as we fulfill his mission, we can have boundless hope. This does not mean that we will be spared pain, suffering, or hardship, but that God will see us through to a glorious conclusion." Life Application Study Bible, NIV
It's kind of like when you take your kids on vacation. You know how awesome it's going to be when you get there, and how much fun your kids are gonna have. But they are so concerned with the here and now of the getting there, they have no idea of the great time that awaits them when you finally arrive at your destination. I think of God in that way; He's the parent, and we're the impatient kids in the backseat, whining "Are we there yet?". Man, we are probably so on His nerves by now...
12 comments:
I often wonder when I get annoyed with my kids for telling them to do something for the 1000th time, if God feels the same way about me. I'm so thankful He's more patient than me....:)
Which Beth Moore study are you doing? I'm in Daniel right now and it's incredible.
I really like that verse. I stumbled on it for the first time last year when I was looking for scripture to send a one of my best friends who is suffering from depression.
I'm glad you are joining us. I knew you would. :)
this is an awesome idea and I am going to look forward to this.
yay! awesome verse!
I have wrote mine sown everyday in my food journal and say it when I'm cleaning the house.
I already have it memorized!!
Oh man...you all are soo good. I just suck so bad at any type of memeory thing! My brain can not handle remembering stuff like that!
Well good luck on your journey...!!!
I needed this today. Thanks.
I LOVE how you explain what it means. I never understand the wordage. It's all Greek to me...or is it Roman? If you explain it like that every time I will come to your Blog Bible Study every time...that I remember too :)
I love how you put that - soooo true!!!!! I am so are we there yet???? Crazy!!!
So, I saw Betty's post the other day and I'm totally doing this too! I'm not quite sure of when we're supposed to meet or whatever, but I'm in. I need more God-time this year!!
That Bible study sounds like it would be good. I need to find a good one in my area.
I chose verse Isaiah 26:4 -
"Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.
I am definitely going to do this! I will get it all together tonight (after work & stuff).
GREAT idea.
Loving this. I'm reading through the Bible this year...I have a One Year Study Bible, so each day I'll read a bit of OT, a bit of NT, and a Proverb...they have it all neatly portioned out for me, so it's not too overwhelming. And that's just awesome.
My favorite verse is on my site...Psalm 139:1. I love that He knows me. HE knows ME! Tell me that's now awesome...
Post a Comment