Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Elijah!

Ten years ago today, Elijah was born and I became a mother for the first time. Yesterday afternoon, I was thinking back to that day...the fatigue of being nine months pregnant, the excitement when my water broke, the fear of labor, the pride when I pushed that baby out on my own without any pain medicine or an epidural, and the overwhelming love I felt when I held him for the first time. I cried and cried yesterday, missing my dad and wishing he were here to see what a terrific young boy Elijah is turning out to be. Dad was at the hospital when Elijah was born, and it's so funny to see the pictures of that tall guy holding that tiny baby (my dad was 6'5", and all of 165 lbs). I know in my heart that he can look down and see us here, but I hate that my kids don't know him like I did; that he can't come to Elijah's ballgames or hear his corny jokes or talk to him about the great book he just read. My dad would love that, I'm sure.


We already celebrated Elijah's birthday with a party at Run Jump 'n Play, so today we are spending time together just as a family. Cracker Barrel for breakfast, Sam's Club to buy a Nintendo Wii that he's been wanting forever, the zoo with my sister and her kids, then Outback for a yummy dinner. Turning ten is a big deal, and I want this to be a day he remembers forever. I think it will be.

A little tribute to you, buddy...here are ten things we love about you:

1. You are kind to your brother and sister (most of the time).
2. You are smart, and you are a great student.
3. You rock at every sport you play (just like Daddy).
4. You tell me you love me every single day.
5. You make friends easily.
6. You still love to hang out with me.
7. You are adorable.
8. You love to read, just like me and Isabel and your big Papaw.
9. You are great at any video game you try to play...how do you do that?
10. You are my gift from God, and you make being your mom so easy.

I love you, Elijah. I hope you have a great birthday!

1 comment:

Honorary Indian said...

What a tremendously moving tribute to your first born. I love the "10 things we love about you" list. But, I bet there's more you could add if you had enough time (and enough space).

Birthdays are especially poignant for me...my baby will turn 3 next Saturday, and I'm very nostalgic thinking about it.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I LOVE to read. I'm trying to get back into it...it's my hobby to collect books lately from Costco and then leave them on my bedside collecting dust! I'm determined to read at least 5 this summer before the craziness of school starts. I read 15 the first summer we were married. 15!!!! My hubby was doing his orthopedic fellowship, so I had lots of time on my hands when I wasn't working pool on the night shift!

WHEW! What a long post! Sorry!

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy!