Monday, June 2, 2008

Play Ball (finally!)

After a month of rain-outs and wet field conditions even on the sunny days, Elijah finally got to play ball on Sunday. What a way to bring in June! Beautiful, bright, warm day, perfect for baseball. Elijah did a great job playing first base and pitcher, much to his delight and my worry. No right field for this guy...he is such a great player, and that's not just momma's pride talking. Scored two times, struck out once (with a few tears afterward, but not for long). I have to let go of that fear that I have. When I was in fifth grade, my teacher's son (who was Elijah's age) was killed instantly by a baseball hit to the chest. Sometimes blunt trauma to the heart can cause an instant cardiac arrest, which is what happened to Mark. I keep these thoughts to myself, because I know it does no good to worry over what could happen, but sometimes I think, really, do you have to be the pitcher?! But he loves it, and he is good at it, so I cheer and watch and pray, and thank God at the end of the game that He kept him safe. I never thought I would love watching Little League baseball so much, but I guess when it's your kid, and he plays well, it's a different story. They won the game 12-11, and we play another four games this week, trying to make up for all the rainouts. I promise not to bore you with the details and photos of every game :) Enjoy the pics, and the great summer weather this week!




God love my husband's heart for coaching this rambunctious group of boys...that's him, all the way to the left. He has a real talent for teaching, and making sure everyone gets a fair chance to try different positions. This is the first year of kid-pitch for these guys, so it's a bit of a challenge. Thanks, Joe!

Sizing up the batter...


Pitching for all he's worth...even struck the player out!




Man, I love summer!




No comments: