When I did that post about Gabe and our behavior struggles, I got lots of good advice. Suzann from The Olive Cottage recommended this book, which I ran right out and bought with my Barnes & Noble gift card. I have hope that it will work.

Some of you are aware that when I played the "mother-in-law lottery", I won the grand prize. My MIL, Kay, is one of the most awesome people I know. She has the same struggles with Gabe when she watches him for me, and she knows the challenges I face. Her discipline style with her kids was very similar to my own, and I never receive judgement from her; always love and support.
So I was really surprised when I received an email from her entitled "Tough Love vs Spanking". I thought she was judging me for the way I've been handling Gabe.
See if I'm over-reacting. Read this email and let me know what you think:
.Tough Love vs.
Spanking - Good
Argument
Most
of the American populace
thinks
it improper to spank
children,
so
I have tried other methods
to
control my kids when
they
have one of 'those moments.'
One
that I found effective
is
for me to just take the
child
for
a car ride and talk.
Some
say it's the vibration
from
the car, others say
it's
the
time away from any
distractions
such as TV,
video
games, computer, iPod,
etc.
Either
way, my kids
usually
calm down and
stop
misbehaving after
our
car ride together.
Eye
to eye contact helps a lot too.
I've
included a photo below
of
one of my sessions
with
my son, in case
you
would like to use the technique.

Kay, I almost peed my pants when I saw this last picture. I had to show it to another mom at work, and as I was reading it to her, she said, "maybe I should try this with Owen (her 5-year old)". When she saw the picture, she roared with laughter.
I love you for many reasons. But this takes the cake!
Hope you all got a laugh, too. Please be assured that I will never try this technique in real life, even though I may consider it seriously somedays...
11 comments:
That is funny.
And that book is awesome. We use it.
That is hilarious. Somedays, I actually think about tying one of them to the racks on top, just to stop the arguing going on. P.S. I think I love your MIL
I'm going out to get that book 'cause I'm tearing my hair out here. Terrible twos, indeed.
I actually laughed out loud when I saw that photo. Especially because while I was reading it, I was like, hmm, I wonder if that would work? And then the picture! Hysterical!
Can I read it after you?
Ha ! You were so serious at first I was a little worried! That was great!
Awesome. You will need to share some tips with us...I could have used help on Tuesday. Dang.
What the hell?! I am using that on Morgan today!!!!!!!!!! LOL.
Kay is a beast!!
Gabe would probably have a blast.
How dumb am I that I've seen that before and yet still fell for it. i was getting all incredulous "ANd just HOW do I take time out of my day and drive around and I can't afford that gas and blah blah blah"
I need a NAP
oh my gosh... I busted out laughing! Good thing you can laugh about some things you struggle with
My mom has shared that same email with me, too. It never fails to make me LOL.
And I may just have to check out this book...
I'm interested to hear what you think of the book.
For the record, I tried the with my eldest - didn't work. LOL
You are blessed with your MIL.
I lost out on the parent lottery all the way around.
Post a Comment